Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Recapitualtion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    My problem as a child was not being able to see the blackboard clearly, so I was near-sighted. How does that figure with what you know, Al?
    I could see it if I sat close enough, until it got progressively worse, and then I couldn't see it clearly from any desk. I am nearsighted. If that was your problem, I'm impressed that they were able to fix it that way. (When I first read your sentence I thought you meant that you didn't have a problem seeing the blackboard clearly, but it could be read either way, I think.)
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    My mother was a teacher too, Jim, so my teachers were reluctant to damage my little body. (This was somewhat before corporal punishment was outlawed as abuse.) But I did often have to do my homework "over again"; er, that is to say, I fibbed: I had never, technically, done it in the first place, as I had gotten onto some other project--reading Spinoza or some such. But I prided myself into whipping it into shape on the spur of the moment. Naturally, this got me into trouble later. High school wasn't a problem--I could always finish my work in home room. Unfortunately, putting things off until the last minute became a nasty habit. "Why do something today when you can put it off until tomorrow?" was my motto. My real comeuppance came at the University. I had, by this time, gotten onto the practice of writing the term papers the night before. In fact, I was too well know for it, which gave rise to the one time I did something unforgivable at that level. (I blush to remember this little bit of criminal experimentation, and to recall it here, but hey, we are all friends...right...? Anyway, I did learn my lesson, but good.) Seems that a dorm-mate in the same class also had deferred writing his paper. Stupidly, I agreed to write the darned thing for him (don't say a word, Don!). Now, I thought it best to write my own first, so that I would be at my freshest. His I got done about 8:00 in the morning. (40 pages in one night--on an electric typewriter! Couldn't do it nowadays, and that is a fact.) Problem is, when the grades came out, he got an A, and I got a B. Quoth the Raven: Nevermore.

Al
    That is funny, Al. I did some of the same things, including being a great procrastinator, which I still am. I think I even picked up a book of Spinoza once, though I don't remember a thing about it. I never wrote a paper for anyone but did have some instances of doing my best and most highly graded work while sleep deprived. I hope that guy paid you to write his paper! I even wrote some of mine on a manual typewriter. No computers or printers in those days.

And thinking back on grade school, I do remember some notable examples of corporal punishment, in front of the class, in the days before it was outlawed..... not me, it was always boys, it seems. At least our society has done something right by outlawing that, although I'm not sure a teacher can even hug a kid, which would be kind of sad....
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    That is funny, Al. I did some of the same things, including being a great procrastinator, which I still am. I think I even picked up a book of Spinoza once, though I don't remember a thing about it. I never wrote a paper for anyone but did have some instances of doing my best and most highly graded work while sleep deprived. I hope that guy paid you to write his paper! I even wrote some of mine on a manual typewriter. No computers or printers in those days.

And thinking back on grade school, I do remember some notable examples of corporal punishment, in front of the class, in the days before it was outlawed..... not me, it was always boys, it seems. At least our society has done something right by outlawing that, although I'm not sure a teacher can even hug a kid, which would be kind of sad....
    The guy did pay me, Anne, but I was so mortified by the filthy lucre that I gave it all to the American Friends Service Committee (it being the height of the Viet Nam war).

Boys are typically (or maybe stereotypically) more of a challenge to authority-at least overtly. I do understand why authority figures are not allowed to touch their "customers", but I agree that it is a sad necessity.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see it if I sat close enough, until it got progressively worse, and then I couldn't see it clearly from any desk. I am nearsighted. If that was your problem, I'm impressed that they were able to fix it that way. (When I first read your sentence I thought you meant that you didn't have a problem seeing the blackboard clearly, but it could be read either way, I think.)
    My progression was like yours, Anne. But all parties agree that I was relatively stable pre-pred. The the eyes really got chewed up.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boys are typically (or maybe stereotypically) more of a challenge to authority-at least overtly. I do understand why authority figures are not allowed to touch their "customers", but I agree that it is a sad necessity.

Al
    True, but I also have a hard time imagining even those creepy men teachers of my day asking a girl wearing a dress to bend over in front of the class so she could be swatted with a ruler for not doing her homework. We had a woman teacher who would take the kid into the adjoining vacant room for a paddling, to preserve some dignity, but with the doors open so we could still hear it just fine. She may have even done it to a girl once.

Your point is well taken about not allowing touching by teachers these days.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My progression was like yours, Anne. But all parties agree that I was relatively stable pre-pred. The the eyes really got chewed up.

Al
    I will have to be on my guard for that possibility.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I also have a hard time imagining even those creepy men teachers of my day asking a girl wearing a dress to bend over in front of the class so she could be swatted with a ruler for not doing her homework.....
    I believe, Anne, we were discussing Schadenfreude, yes? This is, perhaps, the more active form, designed to abase and humiliate.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe, Anne, we were discussing Schadenfreude, yes? This is, perhaps, the more active form, designed to abase and humiliate.

Al
    Yes, and to teach kids that it is OK to do that to other people.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the song Schadenfreude by Avenue Q
    The song is what I think about when someone of the not so nice variety, is being not so nice. Yes I also believe that karma will get them in the end
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    I love the song Schadenfreude by Avenue Q
    The song is what I think about when someone of the not so nice variety, is being not so nice. Yes I also believe that karma will get them in the end
    Don't know the tune, Michelle. I'll look it up. I can say, though, that karma does seem to get its way in the end--with or without our help. Though, I think that karma sometime gets it wrong....

Al

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast