Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taste buds gone forever???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Taste buds gone forever???

Just came home from visiting my dad who has a query... Since becoming ill his taste buds have gone. Although I immediately suspected it could be the result of chemo he pointed out that he lost his taste buds prior to chemo commencing... Has anyone any advice I can forward on to him?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sense of smell went for about a year and a half. And because of this affected my taste buds. But since I am in remission, both senses came back as suddenly as they went. Hopefully your Dad's is just temporary too. Terrible when everything tastes blah....didnt stop me eating though ,-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KimP View Post
    Just came home from visiting my dad who has a query... Since becoming ill his taste buds have gone. Although I immediately suspected it could be the result of chemo he pointed out that he lost his taste buds prior to chemo commencing... Has anyone any advice I can forward on to him?
    I lost my sense of smell about a year ago and the taste of some of my favorite foods has changed. Then after my brief bout with confusion shortely after the onset of shingles, I can smell some things and while my taste buds are still skewed my favorotes aren't obnoxious any more, just bland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also lost part of my taste buds, Kim--particularly those sensitive to salt. In my case it was definitely the cytoxan. They say that usually this comes back. In my case, this is only partly true, but i still like to eat!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely had taste perversion -- things didn't taste the way they were supposed to -- which immediately cleared within maybe six weeks of being treated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on mtx, lost my taste and smell. Taste is coming back, but smell is still off...even garlic barely gets through. The WG's main attack was on my sinuses, so not surprised. Doc says it should come back as drug intake tapers. We'll see!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have lost sense of smell, I hope not permanently. I feel like I can still taste but suspect it is somewhat dulled. I'm hopeful that both will come back.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember that after intubation all my food tasted like crap, even the water. Friends brought flavored outside bottled water and used lots of tea to get liquids in me. Taste returned to normal after a few weeks.

do they offer any extra spices or sauces that might make things more palatable? I think horseradish and stinky blue cheese would have been preferable to the horrible taste I remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh you all have me worried, I cannot imagine not being able to taste my food or even worse it tasting bad. I mean life would not be worth living if I cannot enjoy a good healthy bar of chocolate or even healthier fish and chips with loads of vinegar.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    Oh you all have me worried, I cannot imagine not being able to taste my food or even worse it tasting bad. I mean life would not be worth living if I cannot enjoy a good healthy bar of chocolate or even healthier fish and chips with loads of vinegar.

Jim
    Well, Jim, since you haven't lost it yet, it seems likely you won't. I can still taste chocolate just fine, and your fish and chips are making me hungry.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast