Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd round of Rtx starting Tuesday

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al;
    Every[/I] med can can be called "chemo", in the sense that it is a chemical used to treat disease (what isn't chemical, after all?).
    Al
    One of the earliest forms of chemotherapy was use of arsenic to treat syphilis. I think Al is right when he says some day we will view our current treatments of Wegener's about the same as we now look back on using arsenic to treat syphilis. Hope these medical advances come quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kathy, I think that sending you to a cancer unit is probably a technical requirement. Some hospitals don't have an infusion clinic in addition to a cancer unit so everyone has to go there. JHU has both, so patients only get chemo in the cancer unit, not rtx.

You must have gained weight since your last infusion, which would require a higher dose of rtx.

Glad it's going well and you don't have bad side effects!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Kathy, I think that sending you to a cancer unit is probably a technical requirement. Some hospitals don't have an infusion clinic in addition to a cancer unit so everyone has to go there. JHU has both, so patients only get chemo in the cancer unit, not rtx.
    Where do cancer patients go that get Rituxan at JHU? Just curious? At Mayo my wife got it in one of the oncology units.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if they go to the Cancer clinic or not. I imagine they might, just because there's more room.

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medical College of Virginia (in Richmond -- affiliated with Virginia Commonwealth University) is my home base medical facility. My first infusion was in-patient and in oncology. Each subsequent infusion as an out-patient was in the Transitional Care Unit of the hospital. People come and go (out patient) for infusion treatments. Coincidentally, the unit is down the hall from dialysis (out patient). Sangye, I actually have lost weight since my initial round of infusion back in September. I understand the formula is based on weight, but I thought I received more Rtx during this round because I'm only receiving two treatments rather than four --?? Perhaps I need to have clarifying conversations with my rheumy!
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're doing 2 infusions, you get 1,000mg each time. That's standard for everyone, regardless of weight. The 4-infusion protocol is weight-based.

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, then all is fine...thanks!
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12