Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: proper pronunciation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a french teacher once who deightfully told the class she was off to London at the weekend to go to GREEN-WICH, now natives of this dear little England pronounce it Gren-ich. Oh dear, she did get teased alot for that one.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    I had a french teacher once who deightfully told the class she was off to London at the weekend to go to GREEN-WICH, now natives of this dear little England pronounce it Gren-ich. Oh dear, she did get teased alot for that one.
    I think most of us in the US pronounce it as the English do. We learned about it in school because of the Prime Meridian. And there is a Greenwich, Connecticut which I think is pronounced that way, too.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    Cute story, Sam. I agree with Anne that Americans would get that one right, though we are not so hot with other place names, like Worcester Shire, Lewes, Leicaster, Houghton, and Thames. Welsh names? Forget it (Llewellyn? Give me a break!). And, if we want the Dutch to gag, we just mention Van Gogh. On the other hand, my Swiss colleagues, who are actually pretty good with languages, believe that Seattle rhymes with Beetle. Fun sport, I suppose....

Al

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345