Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: proper pronunciation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Weggies. If we become Veggies we'll have to totally re-brand ourselves and it'll become confusing for people thinking we're vegetarian.

When i tell people my diease i say its pronounced Vague-ners but spelt W-E-G-E-N-E-R-S, they look at me like i'm trying to be funny and i laugh and say, "no, really thats how its spelt!"
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tha bad news is that whichever way we say it it does not go away or get any better!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they changed the name to GPA because they couldn't agree on the pronunciation for Wegener and it had nothing to do with his early Nazi membership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I think they changed the name to GPA because they couldn't agree on the pronunciation for Wegener and it had nothing to do with his early Nazi membership.
    You could be right there drz!
    But GPA is a bit of a mouthful compare to Wegs, the shoulda just gone the whole hogs and called it "the disease with many definitions that will come up and surprise you when you least expect it." Or just Rare and incurable! Seems to be the most common thing people are told.
    And i dont think i'll ever get over being told wegs is, "like cancer, but not" No one should ever be introduced to a lifetime disease partner like that!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard some, including my ENT doc's nurse, call it Wagoner's. Now, that really bugs me.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    i think they changed the name to gpa because they couldn't agree on the pronunciation for wegener and it had nothing to do with his early nazi membership.

like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPA could be OK, unless someone asked me what it stands for. Then, if I could even pronounce it, their eyes would really glaze over. So I'd just say, "its a form of vasculitis".

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herr Wegener himself would have used the "V" pronunciation. But Dr. Ulrich Specks, who clearly knows his German, uses the "W". Maybe he just can't bring himself to call it a Nazi name...? So maybe GPA isn't so bad. Still, I can't wrap my head around either Guppies or Veggies.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting..... 17 or so posts to this topic and I didn't receive a single e-mail announcement. I wonder if we are back to that problem again. Believe I had two or three other posts on the same day and no announcements on them either. Anyone else having this problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No vdub, no problem here, I am still receiving an emails.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast