Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Be Careful with Pesticides & Herbicides

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Be Careful with Pesticides & Herbicides

I came across this article today about the effects on kidney cells by Monsanto's Roundup. I definitely do not want to make this a discussion about Monsanto--not appropriate for this forum. I only want to make sure that everyone is mindful about their exposure to these chemicals. None of us has kidney cells to spare!

Monsanto's Roundup is Killing Human Kidney Cells | Natural Society

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I came across this article today about the effects on kidney cells by Monsanto's Roundup. I definitely do not want to make this a discussion about Monsanto--not appropriate for this forum. I only want to make sure that everyone is mindful about their exposure to these chemicals. None of us has kidney cells to spare!

Monsanto's Roundup is Killing Human Kidney Cells | Natural Society
    Thanks for posting this. The heavy pollution from pesticides and herbicides and genetically altered food that we eat and feed the animals we eat is consider one of main reasons for our rapid increase in AI and cancer and learning disabilities in our children. It is unfortunately so pervasive in our country it seem impossible to avoid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true that we can't avoid it on a larger scale, but many people use Roundup to control weeds in their yards. My landlady used to do that instead of hiring a gardener to pull the weeds in my tiny yard. I talked her out of that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    It's true that we can't avoid it on a larger scale, but many people use Roundup to control weeds in their yards. My landlady used to do that instead of hiring a gardener to pull the weeds in my tiny yard. I talked her out of that!
    I have to admit I've been tempted to use Roundup on the pervasive brambles in my yard. But I won't do it. It seems especially extreme to use it in a tiny little yard like yours, Sangye! I'm glad your landlady was willing to be talked out of it.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty much live and let live with weeds (after all, I might be considered rather weedy myself). In any case, I find it hard to trust toxic chemicals; even if they are "safe for humans", the fact is that they were designed to kill some living material. So...no thanks.

But this does bring up the fact that there are a lot of ways to ruin kidneys, which, once damaged tend to stay that way. Recently in the news: Many sugar plantation workers in Central America are turning up dead, or with failing kidneys. Initially, pesticides were suspected here as well, but the medical consensus at present believes the culprit to be dehydration. These workers are in the fields long, continuous, and very sweaty hours with minimal chance to have a water break. (I'm additionally thinking that, when they do get a break, the water may have gathered a layer of pesticide.) Just another reason to boycott sugar? This is a hard call. Without sugar fields, these men would not have work. How would they feed their families? Cut down the forests for firewood? As I say, a tough call.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that info Sangye.I have used Roundup in the past but after reading article I will not use it again.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info, Sangye. My husband does most of our yard work, but I enjoy being outside and working some, too. I've already shared it with him!

KB