Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Patterns

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Family Patterns

Now I know that Wegs amoung family members is exceedingly rare, but that AI diseases in general on the other hand is pretty common to be shared. How many have had that shared pattern?

I'm concerned about my daughter. She's had repeated sore throat issues all school year this year. Its affected her swallowing, and breathing to an extent. But she's never had a fever. Add in that she's clearly more fatigued, and that some rheumatic factors are testing slightly elevated and I'm concerned she might have an AI disease as well. She's been on antibiotics 4 times now and no affect. It isn't the same situation/symptoms as I had, but it smacks of some similarities. She does have a ENT appointment scheduled for next week now. Am I just being paranoid based on my broader experience in this area?
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the same thing, Bob, with my daughters but also with other family members and friends.

Now that I know what to look for, everytime I hear that so and so has really sore feet and tingling hands and pain in the elbows and sore throat etc, I automatically diagnose them as having some sort of RA or vasculitis condition.

Especially when it is a daughter or my husband that starts having the sore throat and the joint pains, I instantly think that it is worse than it is.
    My youngest was actually born with tonsilliitis and had to have penicillin injections every couple of hours from birth. She is now allergic to penicillin, and antibiotics don't seem to touch the sides..........but she does come good (it might take a bit longer) ......... and therefore no AI disease.

Maybe it is a case of ........ we now know too much.

I pray, for your daughters' sake, that you are just being paranoid
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad to say it runs in my family - granddad had lupus, mum has RA and me Wegs. My sister seems to have escaped tho.

I do worry about having children (eventually) cos its like knowingly putting someone at risk - or am i just being a bit paranoid?
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a child. I dont worry too much. Plus, I have not yet anyone who wishes they were not born due to their autoimunity...at least not for longer than a while.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my case, my brother and sister both have Chron's Disease. I was so lucky to be healthy until now. I would think it's not a coincidence, but who knows. As crappy as Wegener's is, and if I had to pick, I think I would chose this over Chron's. My sister's is bad and she has had so many surgeries to remove a lot of stuff. Not good at all.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob, as the saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't meant they aren't out to get you. Once stung, you naturally begin to suspect all hornets. In your daughter's case, though, forget the family ties: The current recommendation is whenever antibiotics are ineffective, test for AI diseases. The problem is that AI is often the last thing to look for, after all other leads have not panned out. This delays treatment, possibly endangering major organs. The idea behind the current recommendations is to speed up the diagnosis. I would suggest the services of a top rheumy, who should know of these things.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There a five children in my immediate family, me and my younger sister have AI disorders. She has acrameglia, and had to have most of her pituitary gland removed, they couldn't take the whole thing because it was to close to her optic nerve and she would have been blind if they tried it. She takes shots once a month and has to be kept a eye on for other organ failure.
    Jana

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ex suffers from Meniere's Disease and since I have been diagnosed with WG we warned our two daughters to watch out for any strange ongoing illness's that fails to respond to treatment, just in case they are some form of AI disease. Hopefully if they do get something that fails to clear up mentioning their parents diseases will get doctors to investigate a bit more thoroughly.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My oldest son (30) was dx with ulcerative colitis 2 yrs ago. My younger sister has PN and is permanently disabled. Also dx of MS & breast cancer at 32. Mom and numerous members of her family has/had PN. Four of seven of my siblings have thyroid disease (including me). Same with mom, her mom, and her brother. Genetics & environment during our formative years has always been suspect!

KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No AI diseases in my family. Overall everyone is really healthy.

Bob, I suggest you take your daughter to a chiropractor. A misalignment in the upper cervical vertebrae can prevent the throat and ears from draining properly, resulting in chronic infections. Also, certain misalignments interfere with the body's ability to spike a fever in response to infection, so she can't clear the infection. Certainly her symptoms could be more sinister, but they sound exactly like tons of kids I've treated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast