Thread: Celebrate how far we have come!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chronic nasal problems may precede GPA?

Another tidbit I forgot to include was during the discussion it came up that I started having nasal congestion, ear infections, blocked Eustachian tube in childhood which lead to several several ear operations, sinus infections, bronchitis etc. Dr. Specks mention it is likely these infections may have set the stage for the Wegener's disease. So there is another vote for infections being possible cause of Wegener's. I took de-congestion meds for years and also had allergy shots for years to try reduce the nasal congestion and excessive mucous in nose and throat.

Another things I learned was the Weg's damages nasal passages so the little hairs that are suppose to move mucous out and down the nasal passage don't work any more. This leads to the scaling and dried mucous that often contributes to nasal crusting. Thus nasal rinses do two important things--move the mucous out and moisten the inside of the nasal passages to reduce scaling and crusting. The excessive mucous tends to run down the throat and this plus damage to bronchial linings going to lungs and in the lungs contribute to the tickle and dry cough many of us experience at times. This made it easier for me to understand why I should try do the nasal rinses twice a day even when I don't feel congested.

Another quote I like: Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

To me this means we need to learn as much as we can about this dreadful disease so we can make good and wise decisions on how to best take of ourselves and try attain and maintain good health. right? I appreciate all the helpful info I receive here as we pool our knowledge and check out our ignorance. Thanks for all your help, encouragement, and positive affirmations.
    Last edited by drz; 03-22-2012 at 09:12 AM.