Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrate how far we have come!

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More amazing info, drz. Your positive attitude is inspiring! I learned a lot more about nasal involvement. Haven't yet started nasal rinsing, but have the kit as suggested by my ENT. I'm anxious to see how things go this spring. It is truly beautiful weather right now!!
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to be a great year for you drz.
    Keep up the good work and the positive attitude
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All great news, drz!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Debra, I do not have nearly the problems that drz and many others have. Not that the disease is friendly for any of us. But I would like to keep my own travails in perspective. I may be a Sick Old Man, but I am incredibly lucky nevertheless.
    Al
    Hey, I 'm in great shape for the shape I am and very lucky, very lucky to have improved as much as I have in past two years. I have a few health issues and am a rather "high maintenance" case which still needs more work but at least I am not sick anymore and just celebrated my one year anniversary since last time I spent a night in a hospital. I am still helping support several medical clinics but my tax lady said they don't count as dependents.

How do you answer those surveys or medical questionnaires as to how do you rate your health now. I just did the one for the longitudinal study on GPA and couldn't decide either it is: 1. It is excellent now compared to what it was a couple years ago. Or 2. it is poor compared to average healthy young person in good shape? So how do you view your health now?
    Last edited by drz; 02-10-2017 at 04:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rate it compared to how I was right before Wegs--a healthy person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DRZ..I am so happy for you that u are finally starting to feel better..my gosh u sure have been thru alot. I feel like I am just getting worse. I see my family dr. tomorrow, he doesn't understand why I need to see a kidney dr.and a need a ref. from him before they will see me. What kind of test should I get from the kidney dr. also for the last week my nose has been like burning,I don't know if I'm getting nasal involvement now too..I have an appt to see a ent doc in a week.Its just the waiting to get an answer and treatment that is so frustrating.
    But good for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    ... I see my family dr. tomorrow, he doesn't understand why I need to see a kidney dr.and a need a ref. from him before they will see me. What kind of test should I get from the kidney dr....
    Debra, the kidney doc will want a renal panel and a urinalysis. Neither one will show much if there is no present disease, assuming that the kidneys have not become impaired already. However, if there is any indication at all of kidney involvement, you need to know. Blood or protein in the urine needs to be checked out, even if creatinine and BUN are normal.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not yet been in the Abraham Healthy Living Center. I will have to check it out. I guess I thought that the Living Center was for employees only. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Debra, I do not have nearly the problems that drz and many others have. Not that the disease is friendly for any of us. But I would like to keep my own travails in perspective. I may be a Sick Old Man, but I am incredibly lucky nevertheless.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    After everything that you have been through, your strength and spirit. My bets are on you, you will finish the ten year agreement and need to sign up for another ten years.
    I was going to start a new thread and call it "Things do get better" but then I felt sad when i found these two posts by two of the nicest people I missed dearly from this forum even though i never met them in person. Yet, I felt I knew them and that they knew me better than almost anyone else I know. So I may now have to call this post "Things CAN get better with treatment"!

I saw my Wegs doctor yesterday and got another good check up. It has been six months since I had elevated inflammation markers along with any troublesome symptoms like more blood in sinus rinses, joint pain and increased fatigue. My residual symptoms increase when they are exacerbated by any infection. I call these periods a mini flare but my doctors don't regard these as serious if i can get them under control with an antibiotic for a few weeks and slight increase in steroids and/or my maintenance azathioprine.

I always have the usual residual Weg stuff like excess mucous down the back of throat, lot of fatigue which I think relates more to my kidney damage, lung damage, neuropathy. loss of balance and serious diabetes but generally things feel good to me. I have developed more problems with skin lesions with two new weird or rare pre-cancerous lesions that need to be biopsied and frozen when they appear. These result in people with poor immune systems like people who have diabetes and/or take immune suppressant drugs. This requires more trips to my dermatologists but this seems a minor problem to me. I am very grateful my kidney and lung function remain stable in their impaired condition with no major changes in past two years. My hearing was greatly improved by the BAHA operation and my other hearing aid. I have really enjoyed several music concerts in past few weeks. I believe I can now hear music well enough to dance to it if my feet could keep up with my hands. I also can appreciate my fringe benefit of sleeping through noisy problems that bother my neighbors. "What sirens" "What chain saw" "When was the storm" as I don't hear such things at night when i remove my hearing aids. I can't hear much in noisy settings or outside with a significant wind but I now longer feel isolated by being almost deaf or seriously hearing impaired.

We are now enjoying some beautiful Fall weather. Our trees are in midst of their vivid color change, our temps are perfect for being outside, and our nights have been cool enough to get rid of the mosquitoes and most other problem bugs. It is great to be outside now walking in the woods. I now feel comfortable walking a quarter of mile at slow speed to enjoy the scenery and believe I can go a half mile or more if necessary. Pulmonary rehab and vestibular rehab helped me a great deal in feeling more comfortable walking even without a cane. I don't do any five mile hikes or ten mile bike rides or ice skating or cross country skiing anymore (at least not yet) but I can still enjoy a short walk to appreciate nature. I often do a little geocaching as an excuse to go on a short walk with nice scenery. This all so much better than sitting in wheel chair in a nursing home or hospital or being too exhausted to get out of bed.

I have arranged a pretty good health support system for myself which involves a dozen doctors at six different clinics. One is a world known expert on GPA at Mayo so i feel I am getting good medical follow up and care when needed. I think my amazing recovery makes me a good subject for their longitudinal study on treating GPA. I usually have some medical appointment once or twice a week, take lots of meds every day, have to check my blood sugar every hour or two and make adjustments in my insulin pump, but still regard myself as being in pretty good health when compared to three years ago since I have had a miraculous recovery and major improvement. I know that my health is very poor compared to most people my age so I don't have a delusional loss of reality, but I am very grateful for what I have now and what I can enjoy today. My pred is down to 5 mg so i don't think I have any major delusions of adequacy right now or manic euphoria like i did when at the real high doses in my first year. So, Yes, things really have gotten better for me. I have not had any urinary tract infections since my operation to fix my bladder last year. My vision is better, not perfect, but better. After cataract surgery a year ago I now usually get by with out my glasses except for reading small print.

I used to enjoy traveling but in past year I have only had one short trip but am starting to entertain thoughts of trying some more short trips and traveling just for fun, and not just my medical trips. I think a short cruise might be best for me so I could rest often and nap as needed.

Celebrate what we have now and what we can do today to enjoy our lives. I think that is the best way for us to honor the memory of Al, Jack, and Lightwarrior.
    Last edited by drz; 04-07-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, drz, it sounds great. I am so glad for you. you have created a perfect environment to live in.
    all is left now is to invite you for a dance (not too wild one)
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast