User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mr.g says hello to the WG family (first post)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mr.g says hello to the WG family (first post)

Hello all,

In 107 words or less this is me: male, age 78, married 54 years, disabled veteran, had TB at age 24, school counselor, always in good shape, coached and played baseball & senior softball all my life (world series & world champion), dx with WG in 2011 after three years "non-dx", had ear rocks, had cough for four years, lost hearing, taste, smell, voice, have difficulty swallowing, have numbness and pain in both feet and lower leg, crippling pain in right hip & back when I walk or stand, have lung nodules, started Pred. and prostate cancer radiation fall of 2011, started MTX last month after finishing the radiation, skin cancer and cataract surgery... blood work due early April.

My wife is my support, my rock,
    I am indeed one lucky guy,
    And, we will beat this WG
    Into the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum mr. g, and welcome to a very exclusive and exciting disease. If you wondering what is exciting about WG, well it is quite simple we never know what is going to happen next! Yep the three years being un-diagnosed seems about par for the course, but to be fair to the doctors there are about eleven hundred of us on this forum and I think we all have different combinations of ailments.

If you ever have a problem do shout, there is bound to be someone who can give you some good advice. My advice is do try and be positive and keep your sense of humour.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to this wonderful group Mr G.
    Not wonderful that you have to be here or that you have WG but wonderful because of the people on here that make it so.

It is fantastic that you have a positive outlook and that your wife is your rock. We all need a rock to keep us in the right place.

Take care and we look forward to hearing more from you as you start to beat this thing
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to our group, Mr, G. You can take all the words you want--we come in many flavors, but we are are united by this pesky disease, so whatver you want to say is terrific!

About your sensory losses: I'm thinking that some of them--in particular, taste--might be more related to the meds rather that the disease itself. Yet, I am sure that, with all you've been through, your body and your immune system have been subjected to far more than a person should ever have to endure.

We are all in this together, so check back with us as often as you can!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to our family, I'm glad you found us. Do you have Doctor who specializes in wegs? Mtx may not be strong enough how much pred are you on? I hope you and your wife will find us helpful as you navigate your way through this maze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, Mr. g! Your case has some real similarities to mine, 2-3 yrs of symptoms before dx in 2011, sinus and ear problems, joint pain, finally some pretty bad lung involvement which led to getting a dx. I have lost sense of smell but not taste, and need hearing aids. No two cases are exactly alike, I don't think. I am 59 years old.

It occurred to me, too, to wonder why they didn't put you on Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) instead of MTX, since you have the lung involvement, and CTX is stronger. I think that is probably why I'm on CTX instead of MTX. I know there are other drugs but those seem to be the most common for starters, from what I've read.

In any case, hang in there with that good attitude, and keep posting here to ask questions and share your story. This forum is the best.

I'm going to have to find out what "ear rocks" are... I will ask Google.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mr g, welcome to the group. Wegs is no way to spend your senior years. I'm glad at least you got diagnosed before more damage was done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Mr. G. Keep up the positive attitude as it's the best medicine.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck