Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Finally...the perfect analogy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Finally...the perfect analogy

I woke up today feeling like a bus hit me. Inexplicable, as it often is. I didn't overdo it yesterday and got tons of sleep last night. But nope, the random, intense fatigue and weakness has got me anyway.

Thankfully I finally came up with the perfect way to explain it: It's like living in a small room with a gorilla swinging from a chandelier. You don't know when you're gonna get hit, and you don't know how hard.

Oddly it makes me feel better having a concise (and funny) way to explain it to people who have no idea what it's like to live like this. I use the Wegs dog analogy all the time to explain about remission. I can tell my friends "The Wegs dog is biting at my heels" or "The Wegs dog is starting to wake up" and they know exactly what I mean. Now I'm adding the gorilla.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Thankfully I finally came up with the perfect way to explain it: It's like living in a small room with a gorilla swinging from a chandelier. You don't know when you're gonna get hit, and you don't know how hard.
    A very interesting analogy Sangye!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally get it, and I have real life experience with something quite similar. Where you have gorilla, replace it with five year old girl. I've been kicked in the face, elbowed in the nose, whacked on the knee and even had a couple of insults slung at me, all within the last 24 hours.... I know not as powerful as a gorilla or WG but just as unpredictable and it stings.

I love your analogy Sangye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good one Sangye. I can totally relate.

It has to be smouldering Wegs that is causing this extreme fatigue in you. That is the only thing that makes sense to me.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it, too. It happened to me yesterday. Today, a lot better.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly it makes me feel better having a concise (and funny) way to explain it to people who have no idea what it's like to live like this.:
    Gorilla analogy IS funny, but dangerous...OMG! YES, laughing in the face of all we endure is the only way to keep at it...succumbing to the morose happenings of life is simply that...succumbing/giving up. Laugh, even if it hurts...keep laughing, smiling, grinning...some peeps think I'm crazy, and they're most likely right, but I laugh & enjoy as much as possible even in the face of absurdity...simply put, we are part of a cosmos we don't understand and can only deal with the effects of what's put before us...so laugh...keep on keepin on!! Thanks Sangye...gorillas IS good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I woke up today feeling like a bus hit me. Inexplicable, as it often is. I didn't overdo it yesterday and got tons of sleep last night. But nope, the random, intense fatigue and weakness has got me anyway....It's like living in a small room with a gorilla swinging from a chandelier. You don't know when you're gonna get hit, and you don't know how hard....
    The ape of Damocles--I love it! I have often thought of the sword of Damocles in this regard--you know, the sword that hangs above your head by the hair of a horse. But gorilla metaphor may be even better, because even when it doesn't totally maim you it still hurts a lot, and can be an unbearable burden.

Al