Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone/Weight Gain Questions:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prednisone/Weight Gain Questions:

1. Have been down to 20 mg for a couple of months. Doc wants me to remain at 20 mg.

Can I expect to shead some/all of this extra 12-15 pounds while at 20 mg? If you lost some of the extra weight was there a "delay" coming off? For the longest time is wasn't there. One morning it seems I've got these Michelin Man rolls (lower back).

2. Can one expect to control some of the weight gain through eating (less) - or is it even related in that way?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    1. Have been down to 20 mg for a couple of months. Doc wants me to remain at 20 mg.

Can I expect to shead some/all of this extra 12-15 pounds while at 20 mg? If you lost some of the extra weight was there a "delay" coming off? For the longest time is wasn't there. One morning it seems I've got these Michelin Man rolls (lower back).

2. Can one expect to control some of the weight gain through eating (less) - or is it even related in that way?

David
    Have same question and concerns. It is almost 18 months since I left the rehab facility and my weight is same now as it was then. The good news is I haven't gain any more. Before my diagnosis almost two years ago I lost about 15 pounds and then lost another 10 during treatment when I couldn't eat. I was advised to eat a lot to gain my weight back and with the help of the pred meds I gained it all back plus another 20 pounds that I cannot seem to lose.

I have been on 5 mg of pred for past six months and was on about 40 mg when I left the rehab facility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weight gain is a problem for me too. I had lost over 20 lbs before I was diagnosed and another 10 lbs during treatment while on 60 mg Preds. I went into remission about six months ago, reduced Preds to 7.5 mg and regained all the lost weight plus added 15 lbs that I can't get rid off. My docs say the combination of the different meds "could" cause the weight problem. I'm now at 195 lbs at 5'10" height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of what you guys say is me: going from underweight to overweight. Don't see how medicine "combos" can cause weight gain, but have no idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Have same question and concerns. It is almost 18 months since I left the rehab facility and my weight is same now as it was then. The good news is I haven't gain any more. Before my diagnosis almost two years ago I lost about 15 pounds and then lost another 10 during treatment when I couldn't eat. I was advised to eat a lot to gain my weight back and with the help of the pred meds I gained it all back plus another 20 pounds that I cannot seem to lose.

I have been on 5 mg of pred for past six months and was on about 40 mg when I left the rehab facility.
    drz - have you lost any weight being at 5mg?

Now i'm tapering down to 4mg the Doc at Adds told me i had to lose weight by my next appointment. I cant seem to shift it and find myself getting frustrated. I have been the weight i am now before and said "thats it, time to lose weight" and have done - although not masses, but like 10lbs to a stone.

I sat and cried to my fiance the other night because i just despair at my weight i feel hideous and fat. I've always been big tho and it runs in my family, i firmly believe there is a genetic predisposition to being obese.

At lease i know i'm not alone with this weight loss nightmare!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put on weight with the steroids too. But on my last flare, even though I was put back to 60mg of prednisone, I didn't. Well other than the puffy face.
    The reason was that I started with the Paleo diet. Its a toughie. Have to give up everything that I love, pasta, pizzas, potatoes (that hit me the hardest, as I am Irish ;-) ) But it works.
    They say to be strict for the first month, and then you can introduce certain foods back into your diet.
    The author talks a lot about autoimmune diseases and diet. Really helped me, so if anyone is interested, I will gladly send them on the pdf booklet I have on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yvonnea, neat sounding diet...why don't you post it on here for anyone who is interested so you don't have to deal with a hundred separate ones. I'm interested!

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea...but its a pdf file and i am not sure how to upload it.
    But if you want to have a quick peek and see if you still interested, go to this Guy's website...Robb Wolf. He is the guru to all things Paleo...really like how he addresses inflammation and how to reduce it in our diets.....Robb Wolf | The Paleo Solution book and podcast | Paleo diet, Paleolithic nutrition, intermittent fasting, and fitness
    Definitely worth a look anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I to put on lbs went from 6'1 250 pre to 240lbs then 60 mg pred 5 months later 305 lbs now 6 months off pred lost 20 lbs i hope it will all come off with time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David, I think the bigger question is why your doc wants you to stay at 20 for a while.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast