Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't take Imuran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Couldn't take Imuran

I was precribed Imuran 50mg. and took it for about 4 days....I was having such a hard time trying a catch my breath and was getting dizzy that last nite I just couldn't take it anymore so I didn't take it. I am still having a hard time breathing this a.m and I noticed that I have a rash on the back of my upper arms. I called my rhuemy but he is in a meeting until 2:00. Has anyone else had this reaction to Imuran and if so what other drug are you on now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't take imuran either. But for me it caused gastrointestinal issues. What you describe sounds like an allergic reaction. Maybe you should take some benedryl to reduce the allergic reaction.

I'm currently taking Cellcept - 1500mg daily. Have had rtx infusions as well.
    ~ Chris ~
    (Female )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also couldn't take Imuran, I'm in the small percentage of people who don't have then enzyme to digest it, and it would have caused problems. I agree with Chris, that sounds like an allergic reaction. I hope you can get a hold of your doctor soon to see what you should do, if not, if it were me I'd go to the ER, especially if you're still having trouble breathing.

I'm on Methotrexate instead, 12.5mg weekly.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't take it either - my issues were almost immediate vomiting and diarrhea. Cellcept was my alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    I was precribed Imuran 50mg. and took it for about 4 days....I was having such a hard time trying a catch my breath and was getting dizzy that last nite I just couldn't take it anymore so I didn't take it. I am still having a hard time breathing this a.m and I noticed that I have a rash on the back of my upper arms. I called my rhuemy but he is in a meeting until 2:00. Has anyone else had this reaction to Imuran and if so what other drug are you on now?
    Debra--most complaints about Imuran are related to digestive difficulties. This does look like an allergic reaction. Please do complain to your doctor. In either case, the recommended alternative in CellCept.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I have been having stomach issues for awhile..I went and had a endoscopy done last week, I go Thursday to get the biopsy results. The Dr. that did the procedure also prescribes Imuran to his patients and he told me I should have a tpmt blood test done first to see if my body will metabalize it so I don't have side effects.I told my rheumy that and he said I didn't need it...well quess what. When I got in touch with him about me stopping it because I was having breathing problems he said he would not prescribe anything else until he sees me.Well my next scheduled appt. isn't until April 9th and he is all booked up until then,so am stuck just taking steriods for another month.
    I checked out that Cellcept on the computer and that looks pretty scary too as far as patient reviews.
    I also read where folic acid supplement is good to take and another doc. I see said that fish oil vit. is good...anybody take those?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Yea I have been having stomach issues for awhile..I went and had a endoscopy done last week, I go Thursday to get the biopsy results. The Dr. that did the procedure also prescribes Imuran to his patients and he told me I should have a tpmt blood test done first to see if my body will metabalize it so I don't have side effects.I told my rheumy that and he said I didn't need it...well quess what. When I got in touch with him about me stopping it because I was having breathing problems he said he would not prescribe anything else until he sees me.Well my next scheduled appt. isn't until April 9th and he is all booked up until then,so am stuck just taking steriods for another month.
    I checked out that Cellcept on the computer and that looks pretty scary too as far as patient reviews.
    I also read where folic acid supplement is good to take and another doc. I see said that fish oil vit. is good...anybody take those?
    I'm very concerned that your doctor said you don't need the tpmt test prior to starting imuran. It's considered routine prior to taking imuran. The enzymes Nicole spoke of, are measured by that test. It's concerning to me because it may be a reflection of your doctor's knowledge about the disease and the drugs. Are you comfortable with this doctor's knowledge and expertise?
    ~ Chris ~
    (Female )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take fish oil daily to help lower tri-glycerides. No one has told me to stop taking it.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started seeing this doc..actually I've seen him twice.And I'm not too sure about him but he does come down from Cleveland..he worked at the clinic for awhile now he has his own practice in Beechwood.There are no Drs. where I live that have knowledge of Wegener's and if they do they don't take Medicaid which I'm on.I have seen a Dr. at Cleveland Clinic but I can't get there often so I'm kinda stuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TPMT test is routine. Standard of care. Personally I would not step foot in that rheumy's office ever again, not even for a single appointment. It was extremely reckless to put you on imuran without doing the test first. Even someone with a favorable TPMT can have a reaction to imuran, but it does protect a lot of people.

Even rheumys who don't know Wegs know to do the test because imuran is used to treat many other AI diseases.

How often can you get to CC? If you can only get there every 3-4 months you could still be treated there. See about finding another local rheumy who'd be willing to work with CC. Even if they don't know Wegs, you'd still be way ahead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast