Thread: Vitamin D Dosage Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vitamin D Dosage Recommendations

Vitamin D Dosage Recommendations

If appropriate tanning is not feasible, then you’ll be wise to consider an oral vitamin D3 supplement. According to the most recent findings by Carole Baggerly, founder of GrassrootsHealth, her research of nearly 10,000 people shows the ideal adult dose appears to be 8,000 IU’s a day to get most into the healthy range. Just remember to get your vitamin D levels tested regularly if you take an oral supplement.

Important: Your Serum Level is what Really Matters

While 8,000 IU’s of vitamin D3 per day is a general recommendation that appears to be beneficial for most people, vitamin D experts from around the world are in agreement that the most important factor is your vitamin D serum level. There’s no specific dosage level at which “magic” happens. So the take-home message is that you need to take whatever dosage required to obtain a therapeutic level of vitamin D in your blood.

At the time (in 2007) the recommended level was 40-60 nanograms per milliliter (ng/ml). Since then, the optimal vitamin D level has been raised to 50-70 ng/ml, and when treating cancer or heart disease, as high as 70-100 ng/ml.

Read more: Dangerous Vitamin D Supplement Mistake | Care2 Healthy Living

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    ...Important: Your Serum Level is what Really Matters....
    Actually, what is important it note is this is not true for all people. Serum vitamin D tests for the passive form of vitamin D. The active form (calcitriol) is not measured my the normal test. It is produced by the kidneys, so impaired kidneys can be a bottleneck that is not seen in the normal test (it can, though, be measured indirectly from a para-thyroid test). If the kidney's own enzymes are not up to the job, direct administration of the active form is possible.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never take anyone else's idea of an "ideal" dose of a fat-soluble vitamin like vitamin D. 8,000 IU's may be way too low (as in my case) or way too high. There are numerous nutrients involved in the absorption of vitamin D as well. So a vitamin D deficiency may not be resolved by adding more D. You might need to add more of the other nutrients involved. My take home message: Don't try this at home. Get your serum levels checked and see a holistic doctor for advice on how much and what to take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Never take anyone else's idea of an "ideal" dose of a fat-soluble vitamin like vitamin D. 8,000 IU's may be way too low (as in my case) or way too high. There are numerous nutrients involved in the absorption of vitamin D as well. So a vitamin D deficiency may not be resolved by adding more D. You might need to add more of the other nutrients involved. My take home message: Don't try this at home. Get your serum levels checked and see a holistic doctor for advice on how much and what to take.
    If you troll the web, you may run into an an alternative therapy that recommends avoiding all exogenous vitamin D sources--including sunlight. For a variet of reasons, this idea makes me very nervous. In fact, the evidence seems to be pretty clear: Immune system problems are pretty much inversely proportional to vitamin D levels, however they are measured.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I know who you're talking about. It's absolutely insane, not based on science whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I agree. I know who you're talking about. It's absolutely insane, not based on science whatsoever.
    Just another example, I think, of taking a small grain of truth and extrapolating it into a worldview for profit, a practice also widespread among politicians and other demagogues, and many others. Well, everyone needs a gig, but milking peoples' desire for simple solutions for commercial benefit does not seem charming to me, even if it is standard for practically every human enterprise you can think about. (Even first-class scientists often think in terms of short, elegant equations to explain the workings of the cosmos, on the presumption that nature must favor eloquence. Then again, nature, I think, is under no obligation to attend to human sensitivities--or policies.) So, my best advice here is: follow the money. If the demagoguery gets into your wallet, directly or indirectly, be very suspect.

Al