Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forgetfulness, Confusion and Disorientation--Symptoms of Chemobrain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    ....Fatigue is a major factor in cognition problems, too. Unless you are seriously malnourished, I doubt that age itself is a factor in your case.
    Katrina, If your age is contributory, I am in truly sorry shape, being considerably older than you. Gee, i hope I can hang on a little longer....

As for fatigue, I believe it is a major problem with cognition. Pred can contribute in this way: You may feel like you can solve all the problems of the world while you are going full speed on a high dose. But coming down form it can be really tough. For me, mornings have always been tough. I just have never been able to bring my IQ up to fighting strength south of noon. But on high-does pred, I could write a chapter or two before breakfast, though I would pa for it later in the day. Now, it is back to the normal state.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al, that is exactly how I felt on 30 mg. If it didn't have such horrible side effects, I may have been hooked. The good feeling of being able to take on anything, and I did, doesn't outweigh the bad. My house did get a pretty good make-over. It was a real euphoric feeling.

I noticed fatigue a lot more after the 10mg reduction, rather than the smaller doses.

Happy Friday all!
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye-

That makes total sense. In addition I'm experiencing a light-headed and dizzy feeling. My Dr. says it mostly related to the hormone issues as you mentioned. I know I'm not old and I have a lot of good years ahead, but all these issues are making the turning 40 thing harder than I ever imagined. Especially the fact that teh treatment could keep me from having any children of my own. I'm totally ok with adoption, but it still weighs on me. I just had a different plan for me, but my plan isn't the one that's important. I'm slowly adjustign to that.

Malnourished? Ha, no chance with teh weight gain from the pred. I need to get my behind on a diet that is treatment approved and friendly.

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prednisone and ctx are the most likely culprits. High-dose pred is famous for messing up short-term memory and cognition. I was definitely more muddled while on it. Hormonal changes due to pred and ctx can cause cognitive problems. And if ctx is putting you into an early menopause, you've got those hormone changes as contributors as well. Fatigue is a major factor in cognition problems, too.

Unless you are seriously malnourished, I doubt that age itself is a factor in your case.
    I have friends etc that are jealous of my early menopause...if they only knew all that that meant for a 28 year old female. Makes me feel so alone.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate but I know we aren't alone even though it feels that way. I wish I hadn't kept putting off having children, but everything happens for a reason. That I'm sure of. Not that I know the reason though. The key for me is always finding something good in the bad. It's not always easy but it's always worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so i have been told
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prednisone and ctx are the most likely culprits. High-dose pred is famous for messing up short-term memory and cognition. I was definitely more muddled while on it. Hormonal changes due to pred and ctx can cause cognitive problems. And if ctx is putting you into an early menopause, you've got those hormone changes as contributors as well. Fatigue is a major factor in cognition problems, too.

Unless you are seriously malnourished, I doubt that age itself is a factor in your case.
    Sangye, Everyone refers to high dose prednisone.....what mg is actually considered high? I know ideally none is best, but is there a safe maintenance mg? I've been on a 3 year roller coaster and never gotten below 10 mg. Right now I working down from 60 mg (4 weeks ago flare) and today I'll take 30 decreasing 5 mg every 5 days. I tried decreasing faster and put myself right back where I started. I know this is different for each of us, but any advice would be welcome right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HopeinTN View Post
    Sangye-

That makes total sense. In addition I'm experiencing a light-headed and dizzy feeling. My Dr. says it mostly related to the hormone issues as you mentioned. I know I'm not old and I have a lot of good years ahead, but all these issues are making the turning 40 thing harder than I ever imagined. Especially the fact that teh treatment could keep me from having any children of my own. I'm totally ok with adoption, but it still weighs on me. I just had a different plan for me, but my plan isn't the one that's important. I'm slowly adjustign to that.

Malnourished? Ha, no chance with teh weight gain from the pred. I need to get my behind on a diet that is treatment approved and friendly.

Thanks so much!
    Hope, have you gone through menopause then? I have been in search of another woman who has at the same age I did? Is that you?
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't know for sure yet, but it's looking that way. It's a bummer, but I can think of far worse things to deal with. I will be 40 on April 2nd and I guess waited too long to have children of my own, but I didn't plan on Wegs or Cytoxan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    These cognitive symptoms are the exact reason I told my doctors I wanted to stop taking mtx. I practically demanded it. I was in such a fog every day that I could not complete simple tasks. About 2 weeks after stopping mtx, I was sitting @ my desk @ work and I almost said outloud "omg I feel so alert!" Obviously the lower doses we take won't affect everyone the same way. But mtx caused bad chemo brain for me.
    I was going to comment with something very profound but I forgot it, okay, gotta go take my MTX (LOL)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast