Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeling sore today

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Feeling sore today

Lower back is feeling achy/sore today. Keeping an eye on it. Already called the doc and he said keep and eye on the urine color (for blood). So far color is just as it should be. Hope this passes. Taking the week off from the gym just in case. Might have over did it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be worth checking your blood pressure. My kidneys (when I had them) used to ache when my pressure went up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yeah mine do too although depending on where it is you may havejust strained something when you went to the gym. I also get a sore back when I've slept or sat in a weird position for any length of time. Oh man...sometimes I feel like I'm 80
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I check my blood pressure twice a day, morning and evening. It is just a few points off from what it has been. Doctor said that was just from the soreness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to see the doctor tomorrow about this. Blood pressure is still higher then normal. Talked to him today and he said definitely come in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doctor wants a CT scan done and blood work. Unfortunately my insurance demands that an authorization number be produced for the scan to proceed. Doctor has to call this in and get the number. Hurry up and wait.
    The blood work I will have done tomorrow.

Doug Guest

Angry a five scowly face message

Insurance companies....!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fortunately for me, I am starting to feel better. Wife thinks I over did it at the gym, she's probably right- she usually is, damn women - always being right! hehehe. Blood tests this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had my CT-scan today. They said it would be read and then sent to my doctor today as well. Waiting to hear from him. The blood test that was done prior to the tested showed that my liver, kidneys and blood count were all good. That's a positive, but I still have some sort of digestive problem. I explained it to the doc and he said that if nothing shows up on the CT then a colonoscopy would be next. Oh boy, tastey colonoscopy juice! The aching is still in my side though it has subsided some what.

Doug Guest

Smile Colonoscopies are fun- they knock you out, then....

There is a pill you can take instead of the liquid. The effect is the same, with a lot less effort. I wish I remembered the name because the colonoscopy turned out to be a reasonably pleasant experience, once I finished emptying my bowels. Ha! On the other hand, it's great you were cleared on so many other fronts. That simplfies the doctors' task of determining what they need to do for you.

I looked it up. Visicol is the one I took. What follows is discouraging news to me, since I'm over 55, etc. See below (since there are no Mr. Yucky smileys, OX < < that will have to serve as a skull and crossbones, rotated 90 degrees!):

By Rita Rubin, USA TODAY
    Anyone who's ever had a colonoscopy knows the worst part is preparing for it, not the procedure itself. You have to make sure your colon is as clean as a whistle so your doctor can get an unobstructed interior view.
    In the old days — the late 20th century, that is — you had to drink a gallon of a special salty liquid to cleanse your bowels in basically one sitting. So patients cheered when tasteless tablets that would accomplish the same thing became available in 2000.

ON THE WEB:FDA alert, consumer info

But last week, the Food and Drug Administration tempered that joy by adding a "black box" warning — the sternest warning possible — to the two prescription bowel cleansers that come in tablet form. The new warning stems from reports of kidney damage in patients who took the pills, which contain sodium phosphate, in preparation for a colonoscopy.
    Also, the FDA, which can require warnings only on prescription drugs, said no over-the-counter sodium phosphate products should be used for bowel-cleansing. That led C.B. Fleet Co. to announce a voluntary recall of Phospho-soda, a non-prescription laxative that in larger doses has been used for bowel-cleansing.
    FIND MORE STORIES IN: Food and Drug Administration | Columbia University | N.C.-based | Morrisville | Salix Pharmaceuticals
    The FDA says prescription Visicol, approved in 2000, and its successor, OsmoPrep, approved in 2006, should be used with caution by people over 55; those who are dehydrated; those who suffer from kidney disease, acute colitis or delayed bowel emptying; and people on medicines that affect kidney function. Medicines include diuretics, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers and, maybe, ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
    Indiana University gastroenterologist Douglas Rex says he's been switching older patients to fluid bowel-cleansers that don't contain sodium phosphate since the first reports of kidney problems came out in 2005. Rex serves as a scientific adviser to Salix Pharmaceuticals, maker of Visicol, OsmoPrep and MoviPrep, one of the fluid products.
    No one knows how many people may have suffered damage from the sodium phosphate bowel-cleansers, because even those who've lost 75% of their kidney function feel fine, says Columbia University pathologist Glen Markowitz. Markowitz, a Salix consultant, was lead author of a 2005 report on kidney damage in 21 patients who had taken sodium phosphate bowel-cleansers. Even when detected, he says, a connection to the products could be missed.
    Dallas gastroenterologist Lawrence Schiller says a patient who had an easy time with the pills wasn't thrilled to learn of the kidney issue. Schiller left future choice of prep up to her, noting: "There's a one-in-a-million chance you could end up on dialysis with (the pills)."to do for you next.
    Last edited by Doug; 05-02-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast