Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting A Cold And Using Vit C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Getting A Cold And Using Vit C

We're not to take Vit C because it's immune-enhancing, but I'm curious if anyone "cheats" and takes C in order to keep it symptoms down? I take Bactrim daily. Maybe it works on colds? Not sick now, but probably wouldn't be up to asking then.
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think anything over 2,000mg would be a bit risky. But if you feel a cold coming on I would take about 1,000mg.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drink a smallish glass of orange juice because I like the flavor and it also helps me wake up in the morning (then I can sort out how to make the coffee to truly wake up). It is interesting that when in hospital a glass of orange juice was automatically included with breakfast, and they knew waht I should or shoud'nt have.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    We're not to take Vit C because it's immune-enhancing, but I'm curious if anyone "cheats" and takes C in order to keep it symptoms down? I take Bactrim daily. Maybe it works on colds? Not sick now, but probably wouldn't be up to asking then.
    David
    David, there is something of a misconception about autoimmune diseases. The common assumption seems to be that the sufferer's immune system is too strong, so it is best to not make it any stronger. But the assumption is not quite right. The immune system in question is not "too strong", any more than a choir might be too loud just because a couple of tenors bellow. Indeed, the rest of the choir might be too shy. The point is that the immune system is, for unknown reasons, sometimes acting inappropriately. The trick with supplemental vitamins and such is not that they beef up the immune system, but that they may cause an inappropriate immune reaction. This is probably not the case with most common vitamins (Vitamins A and K could be exceptions, in som AI diseases). I doubt you could do any harm with a reasonable intake of vitamin C, unless you kidneys are really messed up, like mine. Then you would want to be careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt you could do any harm with a reasonable intake of vitamin C, unless you kidneys are really messed up, like mine. Then you would want to be careful.[/QUOTE]

Al. How messed up should the kidneys be before avoiding Vit C supplements. I have been reading conflicting views on Vit C supplements in those with kidney impairment. It seems it is a definite no no in those with end stage kidney disease but no-one seems to get too specific as to what stage they should be avoided. I have been using Vit C(1g daily) on and off as it does seem to help keep my UTI's under control along with cranberry but I am concerned. My GFR has been ranging from 43 to 62 averaging around 50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rose--your kidney numbers aren't that bad; I wouldn't worry about vitamin C in the 1g range.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never seen convincing research that vitamin C harms the kidneys.

I hesitate to say what nutrient doses I take because everyone is very individual. One person might need more or less, and even the same person's needs will vary tremendously. Given that, I generally take 1,000 mg vitamin C daily. I take a second dose a few hours later if I feel a bug coming on. That's usually enough to stop it in its tracks. You cannot starve the body of nutrients, even if you have Wegs. Vitamin C is needed to maintain connective tissue for one thing. Also, it's water-soluble so you don't need to worry about it building up in your body.

I always recommend taking good quality supplements. Health food stores and "discount" online stores sell poor quality brands for most nutrients, even if you buy the pricey ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's a good quality brand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I have never seen convincing research that vitamin C harms the kidneys....
    I haven't either. But many credible people keep claiming this, so I assume a wary posture and don't go overboard. In any case, it is a correct thing to say that we need some vitamin C in our diets. And, for me, a cold could set off a nasty flare. On the other hand, there is enough research now that does indicate the massive doses suggested by Linus Pauling are not a good idea. Even the Linus Pauling Institute now agrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question those "credible" people, Al. I bet they can't produce a single study or at least not one that is quality research. It's a myth that persists.

(Using ascorbic acid to bowel tolerance is actually a great way to treat infection, just not for Weggies. Many years ago I had pneumonia that wouldn't respond to antibiotics. I did an ascorbic acid flush. The first day it took a whopping 20,000 mg to reach bowel tolerance. The next day was about half, and it decreased dramatically from there. I stopped coughing within 24 hours and was fine within 4 days.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast