Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pulsed Electro Magnetic Field Therapy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pulsed Electro Magnetic Field Therapy

I saw an article on FB group: Vasculitis Foundation. It talked about Pulsed Electro Magnetic Field Therapy to prevent him damage from long term steroid use. Sounds very interesting.

drpawluk.com/preventing-steroid-induced-hip-damage-using-pemf-therapy/
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link does not seem to work.

I'll try again.

Preventing steroid induced hip damage with PEMFs
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read this, Phil, along with some other articles on PEMF therapy. The point was made that pred doses of more than 20 mg/day (or the equivalent with other steroids), if I have done my arithmetic correctly, is associated with osteonecrosis (bone deterioration). We know this, of course. The question is how to prevent it. Dr. Pawluk, who wrote the article, is not an orthodedist, but has been an Johns Hopkins, so has some research background. (His specialization seems to be in family medicine and holistic practices.) His suggestion is to employ methods fairly well established in the orthopedic world for non-union bone repair. I was able to find several articles that were apparently Dr. Pawluk's sources (he does not specifically cite them). These seemed to corroborate the idea. But is this therapy practical? The downside seems to be that the equipment needed is cumbersome, and, in a prophylactic mode (to prevent the onset of hip damage, say) would need 2-4 hours per day with the machine. (In the rat study, the researchers put the PEMF devices on the outside of the cage. How about if we all sleep in a cage with machines on the sides pulsing half the night?)

So this may be a fine idea that is not quite ready for prime time. Still, the next time you see your orthopedist, you might bring up the subject....

Al