Thread: Medicine interactions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Medicine interactions

Hi all

Medication question for those of you in the know...

I take Ad-cal D3 and Amitriptyline of an evening.
    Sometimes i am forgetful and end up taking them both together before i go to bed.
    When this happens i have strange "episodes" as i fall asleep. I'll be on the verge of sleep or i'll have nodded off but woken up but feel paralysed, like i cannot move, and have a buzzing/ whirring noise in my ears. This wears off after 10 seconds or so but is this brought on by the medication? I can find no info about Ad-Cal and Amitriptyline interacting. And this seems to only happen when i fall asleep on my right side, if i turn over to my left everything seems fine.

Any thoughts on this greatefully recieved!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very strange indeed. I have no clue. What is Amiltriptyline again?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice is: don't do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    My advice is: don't do that.
    Excellent advice as always

I can only sleep on my left side, when I roll over to my right side the room spins and my ear and nose blocks .... therefore, I don't do it (very often anyway).

I wouldn't have thought those two would cause any troubles like that Sam ....... don't know
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Excellent advice as always

I can only sleep on my left side, when I roll over to my right side the room spins and my ear and nose blocks .... therefore, I don't do it (very often anyway).

I wouldn't have thought those two would cause any troubles like that Sam ....... don't know
    Is your balancer (technical medical term) busted on one side. Mine is broke on right side along with hearing and I would get dizzy any time I turned my head quickly that direction. Vestibular rehab helped reduce this feeling and problem considerably. Before it was a real problem for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mes is a bit busted too.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    I'll be on the verge of sleep or i'll have nodded off but woken up but feel paralysed, like i cannot move, and have a buzzing/ whirring noise in my ears. This wears off after 10 seconds or so but is this brought on by the medication? I can find no info about Ad-Cal and Amitriptyline interacting. And this seems to only happen when i fall asleep on my right side, if i turn over to my left everything seems fine.

Any thoughts on this greatefully recieved!
    I KNOW that feeling. I've never spoken to anyone but my husband about it because its difficult to describe( although you did good). I don't take amitriptyline anymore, but it occassional occurs still. Last week in fact, I had taken tramadal before bed that night. Tramadol has large amounts of serretonin and, although used for different things, amitriptyline is an "old school" anti-depressant. I dont know if there's serretonin in that. Is their structure similar? I think tramadol has more of a ressemblence to modern anti deppressants. Maybe the Ad-Cal makes the amitriptilyne act modern? I'm totally guessing, obviously.

The only way I deal with the episode is to give up falling asleep, turn on the TV, and when I do eventually get brave enough to close my eyes, I turn on a nightlight. Its a yucky feeling. I believe its medicaly induced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Very strange indeed. I have no clue. What is Amiltriptyline again?
    HI Phil! A. is used for lots and lots of different things. I used it as a preventative for migraines, really it ended up being a sleep aid. More sleep = less migraines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy-S View Post
    I KNOW that feeling. I've never spoken to anyone but my husband about it because its difficult to describe( although you did good). I don't take amitriptyline anymore, but it occassional occurs still. Last week in fact, I had taken tramadal before bed that night. Tramadol has large amounts of serretonin and, although used for different things, amitriptyline is an "old school" anti-depressant. I dont know if there's serretonin in that. Is their structure similar? I think tramadol has more of a ressemblence to modern anti deppressants. Maybe the Ad-Cal makes the amitriptilyne act modern? I'm totally guessing, obviously.

The only way I deal with the episode is to give up falling asleep, turn on the TV, and when I do eventually get brave enough to close my eyes, I turn on a nightlight. Its a yucky feeling. I believe its medicaly induced.
    Hi Nancy - so glad i'm not alone! Was starting to think i was a medical marvel!

It really is horrible and now if i forget to take the Ad-cal i have EITHER Amitriptyline OR Ad-cal, not both. Will see what happens from here on in!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack