Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fighting for a cure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marta,
    I was able to open it. I noticed that the editor called PJ day a "stroke of genius". Well, I think that sums you up Marta, you are the stroke of genius. Congratulations and I am might proud to know you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Ah, the joys of video editing. That learning curve should keep you out of the alleys for a while, Marta. You can give us a sample of your new skill when you come up for air.

Al
    It beat me Al. I've been fighting for days and finally after rendering it a dozen times at about 50-60 minutes each time and there was yet another glitch in the final video, I gave up, transfered it to my own computer and did am doing it in bits on Microsoft's video editor. Boring, but now you can see it. Here's a link to the fashion show part of the evening - fashion show - YouTube and this is a video of the Grade 9 Girls Dance program - Find the Common Thread Fashion and Dance Show - Grade Nine Jasper Dance Program - YouTube doing their thing in their PJ's. I have more video to come, but this is a great sampling.

Thanks you guys. I'm super stoked about how the town I live in jumped on board and made a first year thing feel like it was a little older. Now I have a whole year to plan it should be fun next year. Other stuff to do in the meantime though. Weeeeeee.

Big hugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loved the style show and the antics of the models. What was with the baskets and potatoes?

Loved Hannah's attempted early exit too. Very enjoyable video and thanks for sharing. You could see everyone was having a good time. great job!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha ha, thanks drz. It sure was a fun night. The potatoes were actually lemons... my sister really likes the song in the background 'If life gives you lemons, make lemonade'... hence the lemons - that's why I had a whole armful - ha ha ha. Hana's totaly into performing, but the stage made her nervous, as it did me. Here's me introducing the whole thing at the start of the night. I had a hard time keeping the tears in check. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeY9yvIykNI&feature=BFa&list=UUH3ybfOcg2OL-04beERLlSg&lf=plcp

Here's one more of the two girls doing a duet dance - is that what you call it? Here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWmN...1&feature=plcp
    I only have one more from the evening show, but I have quite a bit of video of the day, which I'll post on later. It was such an amazing day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great intro, Marta, and, from the evidence, heartfelt. Lemonade, indeed; you soared!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Al. It was such a magical evening. I already have ideas to make this absolutely insane next year. I am sure you have some too. I think the trick is for people to come up with their own ways of making somethign PJ happen within their circles and interests. That's what happened here in Jasper and it was what made it work. People just jumped on and said "Oh I can do a PJ yoga because I have a yoga studio", "I can lead a PJ run because that's what I do, I run for hundreds of kilometers", "I can do a PJ ski race because I've organized a million ski races in my life" - it was brilliant. I will keep doing what I did the previous two months before the event, but now I have a whole year to irritate people. I sent out hundreds of emails to get people on board, but now I have some proof that this can be done and it can be fun and it can get the discussion going, so I will start sending out emails again to get people on board who can multiply and amplify our voices. Already there is a TV station who wants to be here next year for the entire day's events.

By the way, I have to share this with you because it's quite something. I'm looking out my windows and it's snowing so hard with the biggest, most beautiful, sound muffling snowflakes in the world. It's like billions of white butterflies flying in all directions. I wish you were all here right now to see how special this moment is right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This could easily go global next year. I thought this was very cute and well done.

We barely got any snow this winter. I love snow. Right now it is about 16 degrees here.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any one on here belong to AARDA or keep up with their publication? I just got a copy of their march newsletter and there is considerable info in the letter called INFOCUS about studies on autoimmune diseases and efforts to raise awareness of autoimmune disorders. I like the "We are 50 MIllion" theme. and the goal to end the question "What is autoimmune?"

Some of the highlights in this issue were a possible cure for Type 1 diabetes using BCG done at Mass General Hospital, Malmo University research on blood clots following hospital stays, for AI patients, a potential treatment for sclerdoma, Raynaud's disease, how MHCs make us vulnerable to infections and autoimmune diseases, how inflammtion increases our risk of bone fracture even without the steroids, a resource for info on complimentary and alteranative medicines (www.nccam..nih.gov/), a book about a brave and persistent mother who saved her son from PANDAS, a study on how NSAIDS might increase our risk of Crohn's disease, Speira's study on how stress is bad for people with vasculitis, a study on Rheumatology that some biologics do not increase risk of infection as much as thought, a possible treatment for Takayasu's arteritis, risk of miscariages in AI or AD patients, a study on treating lupus in children at University of Liverpool, (38 % of children had family history of Autoimmune Disorders), and info on how givenik.com customers can donate 5% of ticket costs to AARDA when shopping for
    Broadway shows in NYC, and info on several walks to increase awareness.

AARDA sounds like a very small organization but one with a great goal of helping people with autoimmune disorders. Any members one here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    Marta, have you contacted the Canadian Immunedefiency Society about you excellent idea? Who knows they might like to join in. The American Autoimmune Related Disease Association (AARDA) had a link up with Vasculitis UK last year on the commonality of vasculitis in autoimmune patients, so they might be worth contacting as well.

Unfortunately I am not be allowed to wear pj's to work. I have a very stuffy council who do not think that it is appropriate clothing for a taxi driver. So I hope to have a load of Vasculitis UK wrist bands that I will give to my passengers on the 29th - at least it will be some form of awareness.

Jim

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345