Thread: Warfarin and Rituxin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Warfarin and Rituxin

Hi,
    In another thread, we were writing about the interaction of Bactrim and Warfarin (caumadin). Since I haven't seen it mentioned herein (it may very well be hidden somewhere in all these posts), thought I'ld put out a reminder for those who ever find themselves about to take Rituxin and who already take Warfarin. RTX also "thins" the blood, hence it's a good idea to have an INR done shortly after each session to make sure you don't cross the line and to adjust the Warfarin if necessary. Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just put on a statin for cholesterol and had to adjust the warfarin dose. Took about two weeks to get it straightened out. Not taking any meds for WG at the present time. Clean since 6/10.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Wegs meds - - - oooh that sounds sooo nice! Good for you, Dale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know that about rtx, Ron. I have a home INR tester and test every week. It sure helps to keep it in range. I recommend that everyone gets one if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sangye,

Yes, seems like there's always something new to learn along this journey of the Wegs. The nurses at the infusion center clued me in. Wanted to know my last INR, when it was taken and wanted me to get one three days after each session. With neither change in diet nor warfarin intake, my number increased by .4 after the first session and then an additional .3 after the second - - enough to push it into the unacceptable range. Will know the third session results come Monday. Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad they're monitoring you. Thank you so much for posting it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I didn't know that about rtx, Ron. I have a home INR tester and test every week. It sure helps to keep it in range. I recommend that everyone gets one if possible.
    I go to my hemotologist in May and I am going to ask for a home tester. They told me about it when they did my IVC filter implant but I was too sick to remember or do anything about it at that time but I am ready for it now. I currently go every two weeks or monthly but it does change a lot according to my diet and my exercise now since I have been feeling better. Thanks Sangye for the reminder!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's awesome. I have a major problem with vein access. Even monthly labs are a problem. The early days of being on coumadin and getting blood drawn twice or three times a week for weeks on end really damaged a lot of my veins.

The machine uses a finger prick like a glucose meter.

You can probably call your doc to get a scrip for one without waiting for an appointment. You find the company online and they get you set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    It's awesome. I have a major problem with vein access. Even monthly labs are a problem. The early days of being on coumadin and getting blood drawn twice or three times a week for weeks on end really damaged a lot of my veins.

The machine uses a finger prick like a glucose meter.

You can probably call your doc to get a scrip for one without waiting for an appointment. You find the company online and they get you set up.
    Hi Sangye,

I have a friend who takes coumadin and I told her about the inr home tester. She seems to be interested in using this device for testing her inr level and I would appreciate it if you could please tell me which company, you used to obtain this product/device. Thanks.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Alere and the INRatio2 meter. The company used to be awful. I had to call and complain many, many times. But it seems to have worked. They're doing a great job now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast