User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the right way to take the FOLIC ACID?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    My local Rheumy started me on Methotrexate on Mondays (M for Monday...) and Folic Acid on a Friday (F for Friday - he was a very clever man...) And this is how i took folic acid for the year i was on it.
    Mine said exactly the same thing and the pharmacist was very impressed with the way she figured it out.
    Now it looks like she wasn't so clever afterall and that others, on the other side of the globe, do the same thing.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took my folic acid on every day except the day I took the mtx. Did it that way for about 17 months.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the key is not to take Folic Acid on the same day you take Methotrexate. I used to take 5mg of folic acid/week on any day except for the day of Mtx, but my dr now is having me take 1mg/day except Mtx day - which I've been doing for 2 years now. From what I remember, Folic acid protects your liver and so taking it the same day as Mtx makes it less effective - it would interfere with it working in the liver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take 1 mg a day even on the day I take my mtx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Her doctor send her a prescription to take folic acid everday now what im reading is the folic acid is soppose to me taken w MTX. I see most of you dont take the folic acid on the same day as MTX which I already read in an article. Im just wondering if this would give my daughter more side effect. She has been doing great so far no side effect but maybe it bcse of the folic. Ido want to make sure She is doing it the best way to get the best results of the medicine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maria garcia View Post
    Her doctor send her a prescription to take folic acid everday now what im reading is the folic acid is soppose to me taken w MTX. I see most of you dont take the folic acid on the same day as MTX which I already read in an article. Im just wondering if this would give my daughter more side effect. She has been doing great so far no side effect but maybe it bcse of the folic. Ido want to make sure She is doing it the best way to get the best results of the medicine.
    When mtx is used as a cancer treatment, the reason it works is BECAUSE it sucks the folic acid from the body (the cancerous cells I suppose). When mtx is used for WG, the folic acid depletion is not what helps us weggies. For us, mtx simply suppresses our immune systems. Taking folic acid will not interfere with the mechanism of action in our case. If it did, the docs would not have us take it at all.

So, as a couple of people said, for us, there's no wrong way to take folic acid. Just be sure to take it.

I was instructed to take it 7 days a week. Personally, later on, I found it helpful to take MORE folic acid on my mtx dosing day, and the day after. And my doc said that was fine too.
    ~ Chris ~
    (Female )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it every day including my MTX and have for exactly two years. Never had any side effects from either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take 20mg Mxt on Tuesdays with dinner and I take 1 mg folic EVERY day at lunch. All is well. I did find when I was forgetting to take the folic acid that I did get sores in my mouth, I remember to always take it now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was told folic acid can cause constipation so I should add something to try prevent that. Do others take something else too to avoid this side effect?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't mentioned to me when I started taking mtx, but I have been on a steady diet of codeine for the past 22 months, so I take laxatives for that. Certainly doesn't hurt to take some if you have that particular side-effect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast