Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerson's Therapy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Gunny, I get asked this a lot, by well-meaning friends who a) "hate doctors", or 2) are under the assumption that all you have to do to avoid getting sick is to take care of yourself; i.e. if you do get sick (or injured) it is because to were not taking enough of supplement x, or broccoli, or whatever. This is both too simplistic and often totally wrong and unfair. First, people who eat and live well do get hideous diseases, just like the slovens. Secondly, very few of the really bad diseases respond to simply living better. There is, for example, no known cure for WG, nor is any "cure" conceivable in our lifetimes. (In 1968 I broke my thumb off. The bone was reset, but the orthopedic surgeon pointed out to me that it would likely become arthritic in 25 years or so. "But don't worry." he said, "by that time they'll have a cure for arthritis." Hah!) The best anyone can do, now, is manage the symptoms. Better diets, better nutrition, and better ways of living may help, but they will not do the heavy lifting.

Al
    I can't even make this stuff up. I got this note today from a friend:

Nancy,hi hon. Do yourself a favor and rent this DVD on NetFlix or from where ever, its called Food Matters..its a documentary. ITs an eye opener. Many things I knew already but there was a lot I did learn. Bottom line though hon is Nutrit...ion is the key. I've been doing lots of research this past week cos Chris and I need to lose weight and I know a healthier lifestyle is key.Not a diet but change what you consume and this has led me to Juicing and discovering just how important nutrients and vitamins are and how almost every single illness can be cured if you know what treats what.I want you well..healthy..and I so know the answer is in eating the right foods to get you exactly what your body needs. Hugs.I can later compose some ideas for you.I always think of you and your health issues. I haven't forgotten you.Just been researching a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    In this thread and this one, I discussed some more info about using holistic treatments/therapies/supplements along with the medical treatment for Wegs, as well as how to get a holistic doctor on the same page as you.

Unfortunately I'm my usual long-winded self in those threads-- a tendency I've been trying to curb the past couple years. Jack was and is my main role model. He could say everything in a couple of lines.
    No need to apologize, Sangye. Only jack was Jack, and, in any case, some things take longer to say. And you say it so well.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye,

I know all about being Pig Headed and I've lived most of my life with the "Suck it up" Marine attitude about injuries and sickness. This one I realized was not getting better and I got lucky I was diagnosed when I was. I had lung hemorrhaging and was coughing up blood when I was diagnosed. I am always researching natural cures and was hoping that there was a way to beat this thing without the pills. My wife has Behcet's so as you can imagine, between the two of us we have quite a pharmacy in the house! I was hoping to get rid of my portion! LOL I do Juicing, try to eat mostly organic veggies (hard in this Country) and am trying to "control" my animal protein intake as well as the refined sugars. Now that the holidays are over that should be easier. I'm also needing to lose about 15 pounds so I'll continue on this path for that purpose. If I there was documented proof that anybody else had beat it I was willing to try but with two kids in Middle School and Elementary I can't go too far out on a limb with the risk factors. I am "in remission" according to my Rheumy and as I've stated in another thread am in the transition from CTX to MTX. Took my first pill today!
    I really appreciate everybody on this site and the contributions that we are able to make to each other. I found this site when I was still in the ICMU in the Hospital. Gotta love technology! And it's been a huge Blessing for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just glad you're doing better and moving onto gentler drugs. The "suck it up" attitude is helpful at times but can become a real obstacle. I've had to deal with that tendency, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted a thread about nutrition a couple of weeks ago and Food Matters but only got one reply so I guess no one was particularly interested.

For my part, I will continue on my own path, I'm not interested in accepting 'drugs are the only way' any more. Everyone has to do what they think is best for themselves so I'm following a high raw diet, taking more regular exercise and doing an 'anti stress' programme in the form of Paul McKenna's book. Worth a try

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen Food Matters, I just this weekend watched "Dying to have Known" which is a movie about the Gerson Therapy. After reading the book I can see where some things would be dangerous from a Wegeners Patients perspective especially if you took cytoxan.
    I too continue to look for a way to defeat this without all of the drugs. I am always reading about alternative treatments but have so far been unable to find anybody who will address Wegeners Specifically. But I continue. Robert Morse N.D. has a book called "The Detox Miracle Sourcebook" and if for no other reason than to understand your body and how Auto Immune Diseases work I would recommend reading it. His knowledge of the Body and all of it's systems as well as how what we put in our bodies effects those systems is invaluable. May not get you off the drugs completely but as a complimentary treatment could help you to lead a more healthy lifestyle that may allow you to live longer. The problem is that Corporate Farming has far removed most of the nutrition from the food we eat. If you're going to go Raw, make sure you go Organic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks gunnyl for that tip about the book, I've just ordered it from the library.

Yes I agree about organic, I am going to the local farmers market more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For someone who is very healthy I would agree that a diet high in raw foods is best. But when someone is compromised with a serious illness the body typically lacks the energy and ability to handle raw foods. The Gerson diet uses raw juices which are easily assimilated, but much of the remainder of the diet is cooked. This is particularly true of the early stages when the patient is most compromised. Emphasis is placed on soups and stews that are cooked at low temperatures throughout the day in order to break down the food while preserving its nutritional value.

Ayurvedic medicine also recommends the same type of diet for those with compromised health. The digestive "fire" is inadequate when one has a serious illness. Adding raw foods to the system becomes a major stressor that further weakens the person and can even lead to a flare in the disease.

I suggest going slowly and trying to remain objective about how you're feeling. I've watched too many people (who don't even have a major illness) do the raw diet thing too gung-ho and really trash their bodies.

Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye,
    Thanks for your info on the possible effects of a raw food diet. What you say makes sense and fits in with what I already know.
    I have been contemplating ramping up raw foods and with your caution I will take care not to over do it. Perhaps I will start with alternating with some good stews, juices and raw foods.
    Lately I have been feeling pretty ok and for some weird reason I just gave up on dietary control. I have been eating 'bad' foods that I have not eaten in years. The funny part is I'm not very concerned. I know it is a short phase of some kind and then I can return to my usual 'pretty healthy' diet. Or, more of the raw foods like I want to try.

I saw a good video from the library that fits in with what others are watching in this thread called "Forks Over Knives". Great video with some hard science and clinical experience combined.
    Gunnyl I thiink your pursuit of health is great and I am glad to see that you are not overlooking the fact that this disease needs to be looked after.

I have come to look upon my own situation as two seperate but overlapping projects. -Deal with the disease, relentlessly.
    - The other is to pursue good health. Ironically the pursuit of health is dangerous with this diisease and can backfire.

I almost killed myself trying to treat it naturally and without drugs. I had two different Naturopathic doctors treating me almost to the door of death. I learned a great deal, but at great personal cost. Its a long story.

I am someone like others here who likes to push the envelope a bit. Currently I am looking into something called
    "The Life Vessel". It is supposed to balance the autonomic nervous system using light and sound.
    I have not found a lot of info yet but it is something that is intriguing. Might it be dangerous for this illness? Yes , it might.
    I'm just looking into it at this point. If I end up trying it I will give an account of my experience here.
    I think the nearest treatment facility I can find at this point is in Arizona.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for you Me2...assertive aggressive w/this disease is working for me, but at times it is also frustrating...because the reality is the disease does what it wants when in wants...but we can stand up to it...

As for Phx area, I use Mayo Clinic, both sites. Ask for a Dr. Catherine Harman...she's my Rheumy & in charge of the team that keeps me straight and narrow! LOL! Best of luck!

Don

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast