Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teeth disintegrating?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Teeth disintegrating?

I have had several teeth just fall apart in past few years. I thought is was just a side effect of years of diabetes and maybe it is, but I wonder if the Wegs didn't just compound the problem since I have also loss bone density despite taking extra calcium, Fosomax, Vitamin D etc.

Anyone having teeth problems like this. They usually just fall apart while eating something a little hard but NOT real hard. Peanuts, nuts, cookie, candy, popcorn etc. I end up spiting out what I think is a foreign object that got into my food by mistake before I realize it was part of my tooth which is now cracked or missing a big part. It then costs me $1000 or more to get a new crown put on the broken tooth.

I had this happen before my Wegs was diagnosed but know I had symptoms a couple years or more before the diagnosis.
    Last edited by drz; 01-17-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes, drz. I know Dee has had similar dental problems. If she doesn't pop on here, maybe PM her to ask what she's learned about it.

And given that Palmyra is our dental expert, it might be a good idea to contact her for input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I have had several teeth just fall apart in past few years. I thought is was just a side effect of years of diabetes and maybe it is, but I wonder if the Wegs didn't just compound the problem since I have also loss bone density despite taking extra calcium, Fosomax, Vitamin D etc.

Anyone having teeth problems like this. They usually just fall apart while eating something a little hard but real hard. Peanuts, nuts, cookie, candy, popcorn etc. I end up spiting out what I think is a foreign object that got into my food by mistake before I realize it was part of my tooth which is now cracked or missing a big part. It then costs me $1000 or more to get a new crown put on the broken tooth.
    Here is a strong possibility, suggested by my brother in-law, a dentist and fellow pred user: Prednisone leaches calcium and phosphorus from teeth, 1) weakening them, and 2) causing existing fillings (and older crowns) to loosen and fall out more easily. Sorry about the expense. But I guess I'll be there too; my BiL just retired....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep same here, breaking or chipping.

I haven't been to a dentist yet but must get there soon I reckon............I just can't stand them though. arrgh
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi drz
    My GP told me it's the prednisone. It tends to weaken them, I have just finished getting mine fixed. Pretty much all mine needed fillings. Oh what fun, especially with a restricted jaw lol I now have a reprieve for 6 months. Let's hope that takes its time coming round
    Cheers
    sharon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine started about 12/18 months prior to diagnosis (whilst I was still trying to get an answer) therefore I was not on any pred yet. (only thing I was taking was meloxicam for RA).
    My Vitamin D level was chronically low at this time, so maybe that had something to do with it or because one of my symptoms was bleeding/sore gums and I thought this was affecting my teeth and tooth enamel.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is horrible when ur teeth starting falling apart. I have had asthma since I was a kid. So a double whammy for me. The last time one of mine went I was out for lunch and my tooth (in the front) that had root canal inflicted upon it came apart in my Chinese. I looked at my friend spat the remains of my tooth out on my plate. Cried then went off to the dentist. I felt a little like hannible with the metal post exposed So my advice, keep up the checks, saves untold embarrassment. Lol
    Cheers
    sharon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Mine started about 12/18 months prior to diagnosis (whilst I was still trying to get an answer) therefore I was not on any pred yet. (only thing I was taking was meloxicam for RA).
    My Vitamin D level was chronically low at this time, so maybe that had something to do with it or because one of my symptoms was bleeding/sore gums and I thought this was affecting my teeth and tooth enamel.
    The low vitamin D could also be related to the Wegs, Michelle. And V-D has a strong regulatory function with calcium absorption. So it's all connected, perhaps....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since taking all the wonderful meds we weggies have the privilige to take my fillings have started to loosen. I have assumed it was the pred.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch out for high calcium levels in blood test results. This happened to me and I was diagnosed as having hyperparathyroidism. This is a small benign tumour near the thyroid whose effect is to cause calcium to leech from bones and teeth, amongst other things. I had this removed a year ago with good results - including eventually lowering high blood pressure after years and years of hypertension !

So, if Wegener's is rare and Parathyroidism is only 1 in 1,000 - why can't I win the darned lottery ??

Fran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast