Thread: Knee and hip pain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    Dumpy,

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. Sorry you will have to have surgery on the hip. Just wanted to know what your sed rate levels are? I have a great deal of pain in the joints,knees, ankles, shoulders, wrists and so on, my inflammation rate is always high at that point. My rheumy upped my preds around Christmas from 10mg to 30mg and rate went down. However, it is elevating again and I'm having alot more pain. I'm in another flare and mine is definitley due to the Weg's.
    Jana
    Sorry to here this, Jana. This is not the report we want to hear.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Aww Dumpy, that's not good news. I suspected it wasn't Wegs since it was the same two joints having pain all the time.

I suggest getting a second (and even third) opinion before proceeding with surgery. Make sure the doctors aren't in the same practice. Go with the most highly experienced doctor. It is very important that your Wegs doc be completely informed about this and give the okay. Also, your ortho should be told that Weggies are 23% more likely to develop blood clots. Being immobile for long periods will increase the odds of clots. You may need to go on a blood thinner for awhile.
    Sangye the Doctors aren't in the same pratice but when this all started over a year ago and my Pulmonoligist recommended that I go and see a Ortjopedic doc I asked for his recomendation for a doc and he told me that the one he personelly sees was the one I am seeing now. I am meeting with a surgeon Wed. to talk with him and he works in the same pratice as the Orthopedic Doc. Yes I plan on getting a second opinion but I know that what the doc is telling me about the joint is true just by the way it feels. The longer it goes the tougher it is getting to walk. I take 1 are 2 Alieve's a day to help with the pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been troubled with pain exactly like you are describing. The pain started in my hip about four months ago. The pain in my knee I believe resulted because of how I walked compensating for my hip pain. My x-ray showed no bone deterioration four months ago. My pain is gradually, very gradually, getting better. My wegs docs are concerned that the prednizone my be causing some bone problems so I am having a MRI in a few weeks. I am courious what your docs find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine was O.K. when they did the CT scan back in August and I had just increased the Pred which at first had eased the pain. I had hoped that it was helping until the pain slowly increased. Barry all I can say is don't take the hard head route that I have taken. My doc told me to go and see the Orthopedic doc I
    3 months ago and I thought I could tough it out until the RTX had a chance to do its magic. The RTX has done what it needs to but the hip joint has deterated. Good luck on the MRI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have meet with the Orthopedic surgeon and he looked at the x-rays that were taken of my hip and he has agreeded that the hip joint needs to be replaced. I know Sangye I have done a lot of checking on the docs and the surgeon. My bosses wife is head of human resources at the largest hospitals here and he is a very good doctor and surgeon, he was one of the team doctors for LSU football team here in Baton Rouge, La. The surgery is scheduled for March 13 and from what the doc was saying the way they do the surgery now from the front of the leg there is only about a 6 inch incision and they don't cut the muscles anymore. The recovery time is between 2 and 6 weeks getting back to work. Want be able to run any races but it is better that the 2 to 3 months recovery time that it use to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dumpy:

Friends who have had both tell me it is faster and easier to recover from hip replacement than knee replacement so best wishes to you for quick relief.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dumpy, I'm glad you can get it done so soon. I didn't know about the advancement in surgical technique-- BIG difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sangye,

I was really concerned about the surgery and the down time but when the doc told me 2 to 6 weeks I was shocked. He told me that 1 of his patients went back to work in 2 days but in the same breath said that he was crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Well the guy had to pay for the surgery somehow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well have gotten everything set up for my hip replacement this Tuesday. Had to go and see all of my docs to get clearance for surgery and have been cleared for repair. I'll be back on line maybe by next week-end hopefully.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast