Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee and hip pain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Knee and hip pain

i need some help to see which way I need to go next. I was dignosed with Wegs Jan. 2008 and progressed as well as could be expected. I was off Preds and Immuran for about 3 months in mid 2010, then in Nov. 2010 I had a flare and it showed up in my knee joints. I almost got to where I could barely walk. My Pulmologist put me back on 40 mg of Preds along with the Immuran. The pain went away and stayed gone for awhile then it began to flare again this past summer along with the pain in might right hip and right knee. The pain at times was almost unbareable. It was at this point that my Doc. decided that it was time to try the RTX. I took the 4 infusions begining the first of Nov. 2011 and all of my numbers were good when I went in at the end of Dec. but the pain and soreness was still there in my knee and hip. Not as bad as it had been but still there. I talked with my Pulmonoligst and he seemed to think that I needed to go in and see my orthopedic Doc. He had looked at me back in Aug. of last year and did a CAT scan of my hip but thought it was the Wegs causing the problems. So the problem that I need help with is whether I should go back to the Orthopedic Doc. are back to my Pulmonoligist to see if it is the Wegs that is causing all of the pain. The pain is not always in my knee and hip at the same time it seems to move back and forth are both. If i sit for awhile and stand up to walk I have to wait for a minute before I start to walk becaue if I don't the soreness and pain want let me. I'm not sure this all makes any sense but just trying to see if anyone has had to deal with anything like this. It has really been a pain in the butt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wegs can indeed be associated with various pains, and not all of them are emotional. Several people on the forum have noted many kinds of joint pains, including, in some cases, hip pains. I've begun noticing a little hip pain myself. Of course, that could be age related, but it is also true that pred (and the associated lessening of physical activity) exacerbates some parts of the aging process, including weakening of muscles and bone density loss. So there could be a combination of factors, but most traceable to the WG or its treatment. Let us know what the medical crew comes up with in your case!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What has me confused is that the pains and are soreness aren't always the same. Sometimes it's my knee and sometimes it's my hip are both but it is always moving around. This is why I think it is the Wegs and not a Orthopedic issue (does this make sense). I have a appointment with my Orthopedic Doc on Wed. but I'm not so sure that I need to be going to him but rather to see my Pulmonoligist who is controling my Meds for the Wegs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpy View Post
    What has me confused is that the pains and are soreness aren't always the same. Sometimes it's my knee and sometimes it's my hip are both but it is always moving around. This is why I think it is the Wegs and not a Orthopedic issue (does this make sense). I have a appointment with my Orthopedic Doc on Wed. but I'm not so sure that I need to be going to him but rather to see my Pulmonoligist who is controling my Meds for the Wegs.
    I'd still keep the orthopedist appointment. if for no other reason than to get another take on the problem. Any doc (any person, actually) can get fixated on one interpretation, even if it is not the best one.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds Wegs based to me.

1. I have been having random aches in shoulders and knees since just before being diagnosed in December 2010. There was one day when I got in my taxi to go to work and the pain was so bad in my left knee that I could not operate the clutch, I also needed help from my neighbour to get back indoors and upstairs to my bedroom, the next day I felt a lot better and was back at work the day after that.

2. On Boxing Day I woke up with a terrible pain in my left shoulder and found my left arm was almost paralysed. The arm was ok by the next day but the pain keeps coming and going.

As Al says I would still keep the orthopedist appointment, having said that being in the UK I do not have to pay for such appointments, so are you covered by insurance? Have you put on much weight due to the Pred? If so that could account for your current pains.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The doctor visits are covered under the insurance but there is a deductable that we have to meet every year and it is the first of the year. As far as weight gain I have only gained about 12 lbs. and am down to 10 mg of preds and will be getting off of it if this is not a flare. It's only been about 8 weeks since I had my last RTX infusion. I have been dealing with the pain since Aug. last year and it has gotten to where it is getting harder to get around with the bad limp that I have now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like Wegs to me too, but I would see the ortho guy to rule out any orthopedic problem since that should help the Wegs doctor figure out what is needed to reduce the inflammation and pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like wegeners to me. A Orthopedic doctor will not be able to help you on this. Need to get labs done, and talk with your Rheumy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dumpy, it's nice to hear from you, though I wish it were better news!

The fact that the pain eases up when you move makes me think it's more of a structural issue rather than Wegs. When I have joint pain from Wegs, any movement worsens the pain.

I suggest seeing the ortho to rule out a structural or functional problem. Otherwise the Wegs doc is not going to believe that it could be Wegs because you just had rtx. It could be Wegs, of course. That dog is SNEAKY.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "moving around" part sounds like wg to me. Wg is constantly moving around in my body - one day it's eyes, then ears, then nose/sinuses, then throat, and/or in any combination of those........I could go on. No rhyme or reason to it at all. And lately, a few miscellaneous joint pains.
    ~ Chris ~
    (Female )

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast