Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to calm my nerves

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default how to calm my nerves

I am not normally nervous about surgery but my nasal reconstruction surgery has me worked up. I have had crazy dreams. I know that I trust my doctors fully but I am so nervous. Any suggestions to help calm me I have a month before the surgery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will pray for you. Prayer works.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had 3 nose surgeries in the last 2 years. I'll tell you straight up that they are not fun and they can be painful, but really, don't worry. It's not all that terrible and the pain passes quickly -- it's more like a week of discomfort and sensitivity than it is real pain.

When you come out of surgery, depending on how much is done, you could see a lot of bruising and your nose will feel really stuffy. Don't try to blow your nose or "pick out" any obstruction. In my case, and probably in yours, they will put a pair of plastic splints in your nose. That's what causes the stuffy full feeling. In about a week or two, they will clip a couple stitches that are holding in the plastic splints and then pull them out. When that happens it feels oh so good! That will be a wonderful day for you.

I have been told that knee surgery and nose surgery are the most painful. I've had both and it's not all that bad. Do EXACTLY as the doctor tells you about elevation, cold packs, not lifting, etc and you will be just fine. If you have a favorite pain pill, then ask him for that. My favorite is oxycodone. Whatever you do, don't take any of NSAID's Aleve, Ibuprofren, etc. But the doc will probably tell you that.

The third surgery I had was to increase the air channel to my sinuses. I knew what I was going to look forward to for a couple weeks and told the doc to go ahead anyway even though I suspected he was trying to make another boat payment. It was the best surgery I've had to date. Fantastic! Everytime I go to bed and breath through my nose, I think of my doc and what a wonderful job he did. I even took his team cookies and popcorn at Christmas. I am so thankful I had it done.

But anyway, I digress, there really is nothing to worry about and don't let your first two weeks or even first few months with your new nose lead you to think that that is what you are ending up with. A takes a long time for the swelling to go down and for your nose to start feeling a part of you again. No worries.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mama2005 View Post
    my nasal reconstruction surgery has me worked up. I have had crazy dreams.
    I had some sinus surgery (corrected septum/decreased size of Eustachian w/new procedure-WG did in the tube!!) recently. Dreams, anxiety, balking...right up to the point where the anesthesiologist turned the valve to the 'juice' on! Woke up breathing fine, felt as good as the ENT said...it was all just me...hang in there. I'm sure my surgery isn't what yours is or will be, but, like you, I was scared and unsure about it and I just endured 'deathly' surgery this summer...hehe, guess it was good I was 'out'...you will get thru it, you are in good hands cuz you chose them...keep yourself preoccupied, etc. It helps along with Phil's and others' prayers...best to you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    I'll tell you straight up that they are not fun and they can be painful, but really, don't worry. It's not all that terrible and the pain passes quickly -- it's more like a week of discomfort and sensitivity than it is real pain.
    vdub, FYI: my recent sinus surgery was a 'new' procedure used at Mayo...instead of the plastic, doc takes out what is needed to be gone with a camera and knife and laser, if necessary. Then, using the tissue/mucous lining along side where your plastic strips went, doc sews that tissue up with dissolving stitches. By that nite, no blood, in 2 days blowing nose lightly, rinsing by 3rd day, and NO swelling or pain whatsoever...doc said she learned it from another doc who mentored her in it. She was all excited to use it on me!!! Jeez!! No, it was not fun, but I've had worse days at the dentist!! Oh, and NO packing at all! Just some under my nose the first day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill will say prayers too. I had nose surgery three years ago. When I was coming out of the anesthesia I threatened to kick the doctors arse. I told the nurses that I could take him on in a fight (I was in my 4th year fight training so I wasn't far off). I had gone a little crazy though. I think a natural human response to someone pounding on my nose with a hammer, even though I was out cold I knew be had hurt me!

Recovery was slow but just stay on your pain pills and be patient with yourself. Also, as with any surgery recovery, keep yourself hydrated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also had no packing. Just bandage underneith to catch fluids and disolvable stitches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also had no packing. Just bandage underneith to catch fluids and disolvable stitches
    Well, dang, that's taking all the sport and fun out of it. You can't even lay around for a week watching Law&Order reruns and whining to your family to bring you stuff.... Sheeeezeeee..... Way tooooo easy.... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no no..I was down for weeks. That kind of surgery messes with the body. I was exhausted for a long time. My in-laws took the kids for an entire month. I slept most of that time and watched TLC's What Not to Wear the rest of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy-S View Post
    ....When I was coming out of the anesthesia I threatened to kick the doctors arse. I told the nurses that I could take him on in a fight (I was in my 4th year fight training so I wasn't far off). I had gone a little crazy though. I think a natural human response to someone pounding on my nose with a hammer, even though I was out cold I knew be had hurt me!
    (Imagine that woman on hgh-dose steroids!)

Al

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast