Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question regarding eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question regarding eyes.

I was wondering if anyone else has a hard time wearing contacts since being DX. I have a terrible time when I put them in after about an hour or two they are driving me crazy. My eyes become dry and itchy and I cannot wait to take them out. Is this just another thing that comes with WG or is it something else.( I have tried all the ones for dry eyes ie Hydra clear)
    One other question has anyone had Lasik eye surgery since being DX? and are WG patients even allowed to have this surgery done? Always wanted to have this done before I was DX. I am just a little curious on the subject. If anyone has any information on this topic I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff rizz View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has a hard time wearing contacts since being DX. I have a terrible time when I put them in after about an hour or two they are driving me crazy. My eyes become dry and itchy and I cannot wait to take them out. Is this just another thing that comes with WG or is it something else.( I have tried all the ones for dry eyes ie Hydra clear)
    One other question has anyone had Lasik eye surgery since being DX? and are WG patients even allowed to have this surgery done? Always wanted to have this done before I was DX. I am just a little curious on the subject. If anyone has any information on this topic I would really appreciate it.
    Just a quick note here, Jeff, while awaiting responses from those who have better knowledge of this than I: 1) Scleritis is a common problem with weggies. 2) Dunno about Lasik and similar, but the pred has provided me with the gigt of cataracts. My optho, who is pretty up on vasculitis, does not discourage the cataract surgery. This does not involve messing around with the retina, or any other part of the eye that has a lot of blood vessels, but is merely a lens replacement technique. Lasik is similar in this regard--changing the corneal arrangement. But I would want to know more about the scleritis business.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know anything about Lasik and any connection to WG. I can say that I have had significant eye involvement from the WG over a period of many years. Currently one of my prime symptoms is crusting over of one eye at night.

The other eye, I had surgery to correct drainage that had been scarred shut by WG. WG can affect eyes directly or things around the eye like moisture and drainage. My vision is still very good for my age- I count myself lucky that WG has affected tissues around the eye and not my eye directly.
    I cannot imagine myself able to tolerate contacts with MY current condition. My eyes are uncomfortable a good deal of the time.
    Contacts would be an added issue to my not quite healthy eye situation.
    I hope this helps you deal with your situation , which will be somewhat different than mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have yet to be dx...but I highly suspect I'm limited, or simply experiencing onset.

My eyes have certainly been affected. They are very very irritated. The feeling is hard to describe. But it feels like sand under my eyelid. I have for pry them open in the morning. They have slowly progressed to crusting over at night. This lasted about 6 - 8 weeks. In the last few days (since my eustachian tube became clogged and infected) my eyes have improved. I wonder if its like the roaming joint pain? Roaming enflamed tissue in my head? Lol...I have no idea. I am glad to experience improvement in my eyes though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am no expert either but I know that high dose steroids can induce cataracts, as they did for me! Having the cataracts operated on I no longer need glasses (first time in 55 years!), other than for reading! If my understanding is correct the lasik treatment would not prevent cataracts and thus if you subsequently needed cataract surgery the lasik treatment would be wasted! I have no idea on percentage of us that have steroid induced cataracts but is is certainly a well documented side effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nancy I have nothing to add to this great info about your eyes and Lasix, but I will say it's common for any symptom to migrate when Wegs is active. The Wegs dog is a restless one.