User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rheumy suggests Methotrexate

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    Jack
    I've been looking into Cellcept as I too am looking at coming off of cyclophosphamide in the next few weeks. Google seems to tell me that Cellcept and Mycophenolate Mofetil are one and the same drug - Cellcept being the brand name.
    Does anyone know if this is the case and if not, how do they differ?
    I was just looking into that. Mycophenolate sounded familiar- it is the generic for of CellCept (Mycophenolate mofetil is the complete name). My doctor kept on CellCept (new boat to pay for?) but my insurance company didn't fight it and put me on the generic form. I think it was available at the time- surely Mycophenolate wouldn't stick in mind if it didn't! All I know is I had no issues with it, and was on it until December 2007 when my rheumatologists, oral surgeons, and pulmonologist talked with each other about me coming off it because of upcoming oral surgery. I've done fine without it, just taking Bactrim for control of my remission.
    Last edited by Doug; 05-08-2009 at 07:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There isn't a generic Cellcept yet-- a few months away, I believe. My rheumy said mycophenolate is related to Cellcept (switch a molecule here or there), but not quite the same. Many people do just fine on it, though. I'm on Cellcept, and since it's working well, my doc isn't keen on messing with a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug thanks...it means a lot...I am glad that I was able to make the switch and look forward to a state of remission.

Doug Guest

Richard- Maintain a guarded optimism. You know our BFF! It still can throw in some monkey wrenches, but most likely, you are headed for the new normal state of remission. I don't remember how often you were seeing your doctor, but I didn't get the official notice that I was in remission until my doctor felt I could go two months between visits (I go every six months now). I don't know that that's any magic number- two months- but that is how it was with me. During the time I've been in that state, I had one instance where I thought I might be headed into a flare (turned out I wasn't), so I asked to see my doctor at the four month point instead of the six month. No matter what you call the new normal- remission- always be aware of what your body tells you. It's much better to assume the worst and find out you are wrong, of course, than to ignore signs from your body and end uip in the hospital again with a flare. (Pardon me for always being so preachy when I write! I feel like a mother hen sometimes, fussing about everyone and thing as if you couldn't think through things yourself! I'll try to get out of that mode.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made a mistake with my previous post.

The first drug I was on was in fact Cyclosporin (Neoral) and I then switched to Mycophenolate. You are right, it is the same thing as Cellcept.

I used to know all my drugs and doses off by heart, but I tend to let it just wash over me a bit these days.

Doug Guest

I set up a table in Excel that lists drug, dosage, frequency taken because I never could keep it straight otherwise, particularly at the first. The only other thing I might do differently would be to have a place for side effects so I'd have a quick reference. I print the table out and give it to the nurse or doctor when I have appointments, which saves me time, and them, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug,

You and I are so much alike! I too print out my "drug" list for each and every doctor appt. Even my dentis and eye doctor appts.
    Us midwesterners must all come form the same mold?
    Lisa

Doug Guest

Smile

A printed out list just makes sense to me. It was easy enough to change a computer file when changes came about, and doctors and nurses appreciated the time savings. I print enough copies so that I never have to try to remember what I'm taking. At one point, during my herpes zoster encounter, I was up to 13 different drugs. Without the list, I would never have maintained the schedules called for. As for the midwestern business, could be! Which reminds me, I have taken my eveninbg meds. yet.
    Last edited by Doug; 05-09-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree...with WG...you are always on guard but optimistic about the outlook. For now because I made the switch, i will be seeing the Rheumy in two weeks and then every month for three months.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234