Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Blood Pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul England View Post
    I am a bit confused on blood pressure. Recently I have struggled with high blood pressure. Systolic 160 to 180 and diastolic ranging from 110 to 127. My GP says its' probably because of Prednisolone, personally I'm not convinced! I do take Ramipril and Amlodipine to try and combat this problem!

Paul
    This is quite high, Paul. Particularly worrisome are the diastolic numbers. The pred might be implicated, but can't be the total reason, I'm sure. It's somewhat unusual to prescribe both an ACE inhibitor (ramiril) and a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine). But given that, you would think that the combo would be more effective. Two questions: Do you have much of a cough? (Such could be related to the rampiril) And do you have serious kidney involvement?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had high bp on high dose pred. It wasn't high enough to treat, but it came down on its own as the pred was tapered. It's pretty common but they do have to rule out all other causes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Two questions: Do you have much of a cough? (Such could be related to the rampiril) And do you have serious kidney involvement?

Al

Hi Al,
    'No cough'! My Rheumatologist told me that some patients suffer from this cough you mention as a result of taking Ramipril, not me. I have been on the Ramipril for the last two and a half years now, taking a dose of 10mg. The Amlodipine only for a month now! I will be going back to my GP this week anyway to discuss the high BP and other issues that need addressing.

I do have slight Kidney impairment as a result of the WG. My GFR is stable at 72. My inflammatory markers are also stable, I don’t know what my CRP is, as also my ANCA because I didn’t ask my Renal consultant last time I saw him, back in November. He didn't seem concerned with my bloods. I am seeing my Rheumatologist next week so will bring up any concerns I have in regards to high BP and on-going symptoms.

Paul

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like many of you, I have had sustained high blood pressure since being diagnosed. It seems to be related to prednisone and has improved as the dose is now been holding steady at 15 mg/day for a while. I was on Amlopidine (5mg) for only about 10 days (in addition to diuretic Chlorthalidone 25mg which I'm still on) when I had the rash/itch allergic reaction now attributed to Voriconazole anti-fungal med I was on since pneumonia in early November. My BP had always been in 110/70 range and since September has been averaging 150/90+. My pulse remains much higher than usual -- 60 vs 100+. (Has been as high as 132 as recorded in ER...scary!) I've had numerous EKGs and tests with no heart problems. This may be a result of being totally out of shape and so much less active!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Paul - suffered with high bp for quite a while and, like you was taking 10mg Ramipril and also Amlodipine. My nephrologist is adamant that it should be no higher than 120/70 so that my kidneys are not overworked. Have eventually achieved that reading, but only by forcing myself to exercise more - try to do at least an hours exercise of some sort each day - even if it is just a brisk dog walk! Persistance seems to have paid off and now just on the Ramipril! Fingers crossed yours comes down in the not too distant future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Paul,

sounds like an old record over and over sometimes I know. it seems that once the steriods are on board every system changes. My bp was the first thing to raise beyond the normal rates. Even with 2 bp meds I couldnt get the pulse down enough. I ended up taking valium with the steriods together every dose and still do otherwise my pulse is over 100 now. I am a very active middle aged mother of 4. So you can imagine the stress and pressure that goes with this wonderful wegginess. Some how we make it work.
    I also tried higher doses of bp meds and they made me drop to low in the begining until we workedout the valium dose. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul England View Post
    'No cough'! My Rheumatologist told me that some patients suffer from this cough you mention as a result of taking Ramipril, not me. I have been on the Ramipril for the last two and a half years now, taking a dose of 10mg. The Amlodipine only for a month now! I will be going back to my GP this week anyway to discuss the high BP and other issues that need addressing. I do have slight Kidney impairment as a result of the WG. My GFR is stable at 72. My inflammatory markers are also stable, I don’t know what my CRP is, as also my ANCA because I didn’t ask my Renal consultant last time I saw him, back in November. He didn't seem concerned with my bloods. I am seeing my Rheumatologist next week so will bring up any concerns I have in regards to high BP and on-going symptoms.
    So, Paul, your kidneys are in pretty good shape, so I think we blame the pred, or complications from its use, for the most part. As Jules notes, walking a bunch might help. You should get copies of all your tests and study them--they will tell you a lot about how your doctor looks at your case, and help you in your own education. If your potassium is stable, you might ask your doctor about trying Cozaar or similar angiotensin II receptor antagonist. Nephrologists typically like it.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of good advice here. I am reluctant to break out with another idea. I have no idea of its scope of effectiveness except from the Super Supplement store the put ME in this direction. I claim no authority but feel bound to relate my own experience.

My bp has be borderline for at least two years. I attribute this to Pred and lack of exercise as someone else here mentioned.
    I am currently at 15 mg pred, the lowest level for several years. Still...

My dentist would not do work me because I had crossed the 140/90 level. I had be living near this level for a couple of years.
    I told my doc I did not want more meds. He understood my concern and said I was fit for the dental procedure.

Enter the Super Supplement staff---- I then asked them what I could do to lower my BP.
    This is a store I learned to trust and two different people pointed me to ONE product. Carditone

In less than two weeks I saw MY bp drop to the range of 128/80. Not great but significantly out of the danger zone.
    I am over weight because of pred. I am out of shape due to many days of not feeling well. I hope to correct those things in the future as my situation improves. Until then, I have been given a reprieve from high bp.

Will this product work for others? I don't know , but I do know that two employees swear by the same treatment. One with direct experience with the person closest to her in this world. This is powerful testimony.

I look forward to my next doc visit, where I get to challenge him a bit to explain my improvement in spite of no change in conventional treatment.

Ultimately we are all responsible for the decisions about our treatment. I wish you all the best in internal guidance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12