Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kidneys

Hi Everyone:

I got a letter from my Rheumy today. It says:

Dear Phil,

I have asked for an ultrasound of the kidneys in Swift Current, you should be hearing from the hospital there shortly. Please ask you family doctor to do a 24-hour urine for creatinine clearance and protein. I know that you have had some blood in the urine.

I will arrange for you to see the nephrologist again.

Yours sincerely,
    Dr. J.J. Markland

I have been feeling fairly lousy the past 3 weeks or so, especially the last 4 days. I slept 12 hours on Sunday, 13 hours on Monday, and 15 hours on Tuesday, and I still feel wiped.

The hospital phoned me about the ultrasound and I think it is booked for May 28. I was half asleep when they called so I will have to call back to make sure.

Any advice from the experts out there like Doug and Sangye or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Over and Out,
    Phil of the north

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it sounds like he wants an ultrasound of everyone's kidneys in Swift Current. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Have you had kidney involvement before? I don't remember. I suggest you call his office first and ask what his concern is. If it's along the lines of "Wegs might be affecting your kidneys" then you've got to get the ultrasound appointment moved up.

Meanwhile, you can do the 24 hr urine right away. You shouldn't have to get an appointment to pick up the container at your family doc's and start.

I know two things about kidneys and Wegs : they can be seriously damaged without you knowing it (just feeling lousy and tired, like you are), and you need to act quickly when they're involved. The other folks on here with direct kidney experience can help much more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My nephrologist said I have hade some damage to my kidneys due to previous WG flare. He was also concerned with my high blood pressure back when I saw him last October. He said there may come a time when I would have to go on blood pressure meds. Well that day came 2 weeks ago.

I will definitely phone my Rheumy today and find out what her concern is.

Thanks,
    Sangye

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil,

Please keep me posted on the Blood Pressure issue as I have the same problem.
    Good luck with your conversation witht he doctor and I hope you feel better soon.

Being Neighborly-Lisa from MN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called my Rheumy's office today. They are not open again until April 21. I will pick up the requisition for the 24-hour urine this afternoon from my GP's office.

I am going to check my blood pressure this afternoon and see what it is.

Thanks Lisa

Over and Out,
    Phil of the north

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main indicator of kidney function is creatinine levels taken over a period of time. In my case, I also had renal biopsies (don't have this done unless you have to, it hurts!). However, I never had ultrasound so I'm not sure of the value of this.

In the early stages of my renal failure, efforts were concentrated on keeping my blood pressure as low as possible and I was also put onto a low protein diet. Unfortunately my kidneys were past the point of no return and failed completely over the following year or so.

There were very few precise symptoms of renal failure in my case, just general feelings of being unwell and tired. At the time, my Wegener's symptoms were masking this, so it went too far before being discovered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My blood pressure readings were better today. They were 128 to 135 over 78 to 85. I took them at 5 different machines across the city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds good. Nothing to worry about there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Phil, he doesn't say much in his letter only mentioned blood in urine. Was that recent or from before? It may be just a follow up to make sure everything is OK. 24 hr Creatinine and protein are a good indication of you kidney performance.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jolanta

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast