Thread: Ugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    ROTFL you are too funny
    I wish i was joking but she said it right in front of my boyfriend!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stephanie, if John needs to cough up stuff from his chest, he could try taking guaifenesin on a regular basis. It is an expectorant made from a tree. The most common brand name is Mucinex, which comes in extended release tabs and is expensive. Generic brands are available for a lot less but come in smaller doses and need to be taken more often, though I find they work just as well or better. Just be sure you don't get the ones with cough-suppressant added or with decongestant, unless you want that. And drink lots of water with it. If you can find a liquid or capsule version, it might be even better. I have been using this every day for 3 years and no docs seem to have a problem with it. It doesn't have side effects. I am often needing to cough to clear my bronchial tubes of the stuff that drips down in there from my sinuses. If I forget to take the guaifenesin, I notice a big difference. But it is non-habit forming, and I'm finding I need it less as my Wegs improves.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally off the topic.. But on MSN.COM the other day (it has the news headlines when I log in at work) it said that there is an increase of death for neti pot users?!? Anyone else see that? I mean seriously John has used it A LOT. Just wondering how exactly it could happen....
    Not our issue or really a concern just wondering if anyone else saw the article...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stephanie,

Yes, saw the article...it appears to me that the parties, innocent or guilty, simply didn't keep their pots clean...gotta clean them thoroughly. I tried one, don't like it, I've swum in the ocean before!! LOL...but, I am using Ocean saline, and ENT seems happy that I'm doing that at least...but I haven't had any 'dry' sinus/nasal problems yet, just the Wegs usual clotting, etc. For me, a NETI pot is like using a humidifier, where there's water there will eventually be growing bacteria if one doesn't keep on top of it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Stephanie,

Yes, saw the article...it appears to me that the parties, innocent or guilty, simply didn't keep their pots clean...gotta clean them thoroughly. I tried one, don't like it, I've swum in the ocean before!! LOL...but, I am using Ocean saline, and ENT seems happy that I'm doing that at least...but I haven't had any 'dry' sinus/nasal problems yet, just the Wegs usual clotting, etc. For me, a NETI pot is like using a humidifier, where there's water there will eventually be growing bacteria if one doesn't keep on top of it!
    Yeah, since hearing about that on here, I've certainly thought about it and tried to do better. I use the NeilMed plastic squeeze bottle method which has also been discussed on here. Never tried a Neti Pot. Either one can be disinfected or replaced when worn out, though some people prefer the ceramic Neti Pots to the plastic ones, and to me, those would be less likely to be replaced and more likely to harbor bad bugs for that reason. Neil Med makes plastic Neti Pots but their literature claims that their squeeze bottles are superior, in their opinion. They recommend these be replaced every 90 days or so, though I don't do it that often. I do find the saline irrigation to be pretty necessary for my daily comfort, to get rid of the crusts and blobs, also inhaling steamy water to loosen things up in there ahead of time. Liberal use of Ocean Saline is great, too, and I keep it with me at all times, along with kleenex, of course. Never thought I'd buy so much kleenex in my life! And don't forget about Phil's Water Pik method, which has also been recently discussed on here.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and forgot to say, Stephanie, it seems the cause was thought to be an amoeba or something in some tap water and well water, and that it is best to used distilled water or previously boiled water.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually it is much easier to disinfect a ceramic neti pot than plastic. Squeezable plastic is porous. It's also quite toxic, especially when warm water is used (as is necessary for sinus rinsing). Dr Seo has suggested the squeezy bottle to me because ongoing vertigo is sometimes worsened with tilting my head to the side. But I just can't bring myself to do it. Fortunately I don't have sinus involvement. I sure feel for you guys that do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that porosity of the plastic is probably a good reason to replace the bottle often, though I know that doesn't address any toxicity issue. I see your point about the ceramic, Sangye, as long as the glaze fits the clay properly and there is no crazing, which can take awhile to happen and is not always visible. Being a potter, I know that a lot of glazes that look watertight actually aren't. Good quality ceramic neti pots would be made of porcelain fired to maturity with a perfectly fitting glaze that wouldn't craze. (Bad fit occurs when the expansion and contraction of the glaze during firing and cooling is too different than that of the clay.) The crazed area would provide a place for germs to grow and some moisture to soak into the clay. I'm guessing that such good quality ceramic neti pots are readily available, and if they are expensive, that is probably why. Now that you mention it, a glass neti pot would be ideal. As for the plastic, they give directions for disinfecting in the microwave, but still recommend regular replacement. For me, that whole tilting of the head thing seems like it would be awkward, but I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it.

Anne
    Last edited by annekat; 01-01-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I learned a lot about pottery! That was a neat explanation, Anne. Still, I'd rather take my chances with a possible toxin from a ceramic neti pot than from the many known toxins in plastic. Please do not ever microwave it. Heat causes further breakdown and releases way more toxins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Wow, I learned a lot about pottery! That was a neat explanation, Anne. Still, I'd rather take my chances with a possible toxin from a ceramic neti pot than from the many known toxins in plastic. Please do not ever microwave it. Heat causes further breakdown and releases way more toxins.
    Thanks, Sangye. I have microwaved it a couple of times but don't feel really comfortable with it because it makes it softer while it's that hot. I think I'd rather just replace it. I notice it is a lot stiffer when new, and then starts to soften up. I wonder why doctors recommend it, including your Dr. Seo, if it's that toxic? (Not that I'm naive enough to think that doctors know everything.) In any case, I'd like to try a neti pot someday, as I do know people who think they get the solution up into your sinuses better. Now that we've talked about it, I'll definitely look for a good quality ceramic one.

Anne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast