Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depressed, need advise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Depressed, need advise

My dear family doctor who's been my physician for close to 20 years passed away unexpectedly last week. She was only 49 years old

So now on top of that bad news I have to figure out where to go for a new doctor. Anyone have advise for finding a good family doctor? I just don't want to go through a parade of bad doctors trying to find one
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    My dear family doctor who's been my physician for close to 20 years passed away unexpectedly last week. She was only 49 years old

So now on top of that bad news I have to figure out where to go for a new doctor. Anyone have advise for finding a good family doctor? I just don't want to go through a parade of bad doctors trying to find one
    This is a tough one, Bob. All flesh is grass. We know this is true, even for doctors. We had a friend who was a lipids expert at the University here, my age, who was very alive. He saw a patient one morning last year (this was soon after my own diagnosis, and felt feverish. A colleague convinced him to quit for the day. He quit forever. The report was that he had an undiagnosed case of hairy cell leukemia (which is usually not fatal in itself), complicated by Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, apparently driven by an unknown autoimmune reaction. But he is gone, regardless. His life doesn't go on now...but our's does. This doesn't make it easier, but, as we grieve, and honor those who are no longer with us, we also have a responsibility for the still living, and those not yet alive.

Finding a new doctor is often a matter of referral; word of mouth based on personal familiarity helps. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to help there. So what can we tell you? A good and knowledgeable internist is a great one to be on your team. But I think that, given your situation, someone with a lot more experience in treating autoimmune diseases--GPA, in particular--is something you need to consider. If I were you, I would present myself to the Cleveland Clinic and give them the whole story.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second the Cleveland Clinic, I also stumbled on this a few days ago... Wegener's Granulomatosis Support Group
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neat. Thanks Rini.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your loss, Bob. Best of luck finding a new doctor.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My condolences, Bob. Twenty years is quite a long time...
    Hope you'll succeed in finding a good new family doctor soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im so sorry. You can always check under google "rate my docter". It will give you doctors in your area. But I agree with Al, word of mouth referral is always better. Maybe you can ask one of your other doctors like your rheumy. And Im so sorry for your lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to start looking at some point today. I'll peek around at some rating systems.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, Bob that is so sad.

I agree with the others that word of mouth is best. I found a great local PCP that way. Earlier this year I switched to a PCP at JHU so I could have all my docs under one roof. My local doc couldn't get labs and reports without requesting them, and she never knew when I was hospitalized. My JHU docs can just click on the computer from the treatment room and get all my info, including doctors' notes. I know you get treated at CC, but I forget how far it is from you. JHU is 1.5 hrs away. For me it's worth the drive for a great PCP and all the other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I found a good Doctor. He had pretty good ratings and my sister worked with him before and said he was really nice.
    ~ Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast