Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pred question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    There's nothing you can do about the pred shakes. They'll go away as you taper--probably when you get below 40 mg. Glad you're not drinking! That puts a major load on the liver, along with all the meds we take. (Every drug is stressful to the liver, whether the label says it or not)
    Everyone I know who has been on high-dose pred has the shakes, though it is interesting that much of the med community seems to be unaware of that side effect. At least, it is not a regularly mentioned side effect. For me, it they were the worst in the late afternoon, and seemed to go along with a racing mind. Fixing dinner was an issue: while slicing onions, I could easily have sliced off a finger instead. To top it off, the shakes went hand-in-hand (so to speak) with cramping in the webbing between thumbs and forefingers. Dastardly drug, but we can't live without it.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember shaking so bad I had trouble feeding myself. I think they gave some drug to try reduce the shakes but can't remember what it was or if it helped much. My memory is probably enhanced from the pred too. I think they were aware of the shaking as a problem but didn't seem too concerned about it. Like Al said, they told me it is wonder drug but horrible drug too, but without it I would have died so I gladly take it still. I thought the cramping in my hand was due to my Dupytrens Contractures but maybe it was the pred too. It is nice to be able to compare notes and symptoms here.
    Last edited by drz; 01-02-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On high dose pred I used to get these bizarre hand cramps where my entire hand would deform. I can't reproduce it, even by squeezing one hand with the other. Are those the kind you guys got?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    On high dose pred I used to get these bizarre hand cramps where my entire hand would deform. I can't reproduce it, even by squeezing one hand with the other. Are those the kind you guys got?
    Pretty much, ane either hand. And then there were those where my big toes would shoot up straight. But if I stretched out, then my calf would cramp. The only thing that helped was a massage, by someone else, since I couldn't bend over to do it myself without a charley horse...

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Yeah, I still get the foot and ankle ones all the time. I often get many at once, as you described. Sometimes if they hit while I'm meditating I don't do anything and just let them go away on their own. Good practice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh. I get hand and foot cramps but am no longer on high dose pred. I thought it had something to do with the neuropathy, in the feet, anyway. They usually happen when I'm trying to drop off to sleep and I have to change positions to get them to stop. The hand ones happen when I'm trying to do something with my hands, and aren't as common as the feet ones.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Huh. I get hand and foot cramps but am no longer on high dose pred. I thought it had something to do with the neuropathy, in the feet, anyway. They usually happen when I'm trying to drop off to sleep and I have to change positions to get them to stop. The hand ones happen when I'm trying to do something with my hands, and aren't as common as the feet ones.
    Probably is related to pred, Anne, though in a complicated way, possibly related to metabolic changes. I am on low-dose pred now (7.5 mg), and still get several of the weird cramps (though the shakes are, blessedly, gone--I think). I thought I was through with the toe/ankle business, but got it in both feet last week.....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Probably is related to pred, Anne, though in a complicated way, possibly related to metabolic changes. I am on low-dose pred now (7.5 mg), and still get several of the weird cramps (though the shakes are, blessedly, gone--I think). I thought I was through with the toe/ankle business, but got it in both feet last week.....

Al
    Oh, well I'm down to 10mg now.... so we're both on our way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was on 2.5 mg pred I was still getting the foot cramps whenever I overexerted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been weirded out by the hand cramps. Sometimes it's just my index finger sort of "flipping" underneath the next digit. Not painful, but definitely cramping. Sometimes my whole hand sort of screws up so the thumb and little finger meet. I've *kindof* noticed it at times when I think I'm closer to active wegs, but couldn't really swear on it.

edit: Foot cramps, too, but much less frequent. x
    Last edited by Twice; 01-04-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Incomplete

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast