Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise after crazy Dr.s Appointment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need advise after crazy Dr.s Appointment

Ok so we go to my daughters Pediatrician bcse of the coughing. I explained what she was taking 10mg of prednisone and the MTX . Dr. wants her to take 40 milligrams of Prednisone for 5days and antibiotic. I don't know if this is a good idea from 10 to 40 then back to 10 in five days. Please advise If she should do that. I called her rheumy and he thinks its fine. Next week is her eye Dr's app. and I don't want this dosage to mask whats happening.
    Here comes the crazy Drs. Part!!
    Pedi. told me she should stop the MTX and take anti-inflammatory supplements like garlic etc. She kept insisting that MTX was so bad for the liver etc. She has always been conservative but this was crazy!!!! I didn't want to argue with her because my daughter was there and I didn't want to get into how people in the past would (the d word) without meds for remision. This is the same doctor that wants Christina to take the 40 mgs of pred. that why im not trusting her judgement right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am no expert but it has taken quite some time for me to go from 40mg down to 10mg of Pred and I understood that such a drastic reduction was harmful. However your daughter would only be on the higher dosage for a few days, so it might be ok to drop straight back down to 10mg. Personally I would seek another opinion, probably from my local pharmacist.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assumed the pediatrician told u to taper it from 40 ie...40...30...20...10. This is fine if she's not at 40 for more than a few days
    ~ Chris ~
    (Female )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    I assumed the pediatrician told u to taper it from 40 ie...40...30...20...10. This is fine if she's not at 40 for more than a few days
    Chris no she didn't she send us 40 for four days straight. I don't want to do it my husband does. My husband feels that after the cold she needs a push. This is so confusing. I will take her to the ENT. on Jan. I feel the cough is due to more than a cold and more like inflamation. she was doing so well only coughed a few times a day now its non stop. I think your dosage is more realistic.
    Last edited by maria garcia; 12-10-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a horrible situation to be in Maria, when you have to decide which doctor's prescriptions to take. You must get them to agree, or decide which doctor you consider the main one.

I am not your doctor, but I can say this: Methotrexate is harder on the liver than no medicine at all, but active WG is very hard on the whole body. Taming down inflammation and keeping it from returning are immensely important. I personally think that the prenisone experiment is a good idea. If the cough is eased, then you know that the WG is involved. (It might be, even if the cough doesn't go away, of course, but you will have made a step.) Anyone taking MTX should have a liver panel periodically.

But the first thing is to resolve the doctor issue!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    Personally I would seek another opinion, probably from my local pharmacist.
    This is probably a good idea, Maria Garcia!
    Sometimes, when you talk to different doctors, it all gets so complicated.
    A pharmacist can put all the information about medication together and can give you good advice at times. At least. MY pharmacist did...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only got 40 mgs for 5 days. She has an opthamologist appt. next week and then rheumy the following week. I am going to wait until then and leave her on the same dosage so they can see her eyes with the current dosage. Im sure the cough is from inflammation and just got worse with the cold. Im going to the ENT on Jan. to see if the inflammation is on her trachea. Im really hoping they up her meds. but I will wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had up to 125mgs right before surgery then back to the normal dose the next day. When it comes to lungs though the mgs stayed high longer then tapered. Sometimes the z pack which was used with the normal doses. The docs are all different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The increased pred for only 5 days isn't a big deal. The reason you sometimes have to taper off pred is because your adrenal glands react to the pred by thinking your body has all the cortisol it needs and therefor the adrenals tend to slow down the production of cortisol. The taper, then, is to give your adrenals time to wake-up and start producing cortisol. I'm not a doctor, but 5 days shouldn't be anything to be concerned about.

Garlic to replace the mtx? I would seriously seek another opinion if not another doctor altogeather.... Just my humble opinion....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The higher pred for a few days is not a big deal. Yes, mtx is hard on the liver, but I am sure your doc is taking frequent blood test to monitor the levels. As to stopping it, I suppose for a few days it will not matter but I do hope your daughter will be put back on it in a few days. Mtx suppresses the immune system and I suppose the doc wants to give your daughter a fighting chance to do battle with the lung cough with antibiotics. I would go with the doc's suggestion, after all if you notice anything bad you can start back on mtx. Really, lowering the pred from 40 down to 10 after a few days is not going to be bad. Just go in 10 mg per day.
    Jolanta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast