Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cold and MTX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cold and MTX

My daughter has a sore throat looks like she has a cold. Both of her sisters have been sick with colds for a week so we are pretty sure this is what she has. My quetion is : Can she take MTX? She keeps saying she is not soppose to that the PA told her. My husband called the DR. office and they said if she didn't run a fever it was fine. Can she take tylenol when taking MTX? What about antibiotics? I just got home from work and I found all this out. Im upset bcse I would of asked the Physician Assistant more questions and my husband didn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure that continuing with the mtx is the way to go. But of course you should always talk to the doc to make sure. I highly doubt he would take her off the mtx while she had a cold.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on mtx and no one has said that I should stop taking it for any reason. I have just re-read the leaflet on mtx that I was given and unfortunately it does not mention medicines other than painkillers.

Seeing that mtx is widely used, at least in the UK, as anti-rheumatic drug i would have thought your daughter should go on taking it. But as to taking other medication to deal with the sore throat, I advise that you speak to your doctor or a pharmacist tomorrow.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both of my daughters get tonsillitis a few times a year, as I also did before diagnosis (nothing since **touch wood** not even a cold)

I asked my ENT about it should I get tonsillitis again and he said that it is fine to have antibiotics as long as it wasn't bactrim and it is fine to have a paracetamol as long as it wasn't a nsaid. So tylenol should be perfect but stay clear of ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen ......that sort of stuff.
    He also said not to alter any of my current medication ie. MTX, pred, folate etc.

Fingers crossed that it will just be a little cold and as she hasn't been on MTX very long her immune system wont be depleted enough for it to take hold of her.

However, speaking to her doctor would be a good idea
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maria, you should call her doctor to ask those questions. Mtx is probably safe with a cold, but would need to be withheld for a more problematic infection. Try to avoid using tylenol unless it's really necessary. Gargling with warm salt water will relieve a sore throat just as well without dumping more toxins into her body. Mtx is hard on the liver and so is Tylenol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take anything and everything with Mtx, main thing is to get better and help your immune system and not to get it going again. I take all Vicks night cold & Benelyn - really helps, but as mentioned by others, keep an eye out for infection - for that you'll have to see your dr.