Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Presentation Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Presentation Question

So they have me taking a communication class at work, and the first segment is a presentation. I'm thinking of something Wegs related...though I'm nervous at opening up about it. I figure I'm going to be uncomfortable anyway...might as well try to do some good. Anyway my question for the crew here is what would you present (mind you 5-8 minutes timeframe)?

I had thought of:
    What is Wegeners? My worry here is it's awfully specific to my own situation.
    What is Vasculitis? Actually I'm thinking maybe the Vasculitis Foundation in hopes of encouraging more support.

Or is there something completely different that I'm not even thinking of?
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having been an English teacher, I know a little about speeches and debates...as far as WG goes, how much does your audience know already...that will determine how much and what you decide to talk about. I would assume your audience knows very little, so I would remain somewhat generalized as any info to the audience will be new and interesting. Use the 'shock' approach to introduce your bit about WG...people love to be shocked and will listen/read further! LOL...soooo easy to manipulate!! Ye blocks, ye stones, ye worse than senseless things...by you know who!! Also, remember your time also is determined by any amount of pics, graphics, handouts, etc. that you may use...one minute of speaking is usually about one full page of written material...sometimes a bit less. Anyway, have fun with it...could be somewhat inspiring to yourself if you let it!! Always good to talk out this disease...and think about what you would have liked to know about WG going into this speech...that helps sometimes too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are not happy about talking about WG, and that is totally understandable, are you into any sport or hobby? It is much easier to do a presentation on a subject that interests you. One major piece of advice if you use an overhead projector make sure you DO NOT put your notes near the fan outlet. I did once then switched on the projector only to see my notes float off the table and stage. Good thing it was only the Managing Director in the audiance, I would not want it to have been someone important!
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's a projector? Mimeo machine? Eraser? Pencil? New century, new devices! Oh, and new people too! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    So they have me taking a communication class at work, and the first segment is a presentation. I'm thinking of something Wegs related...though I'm nervous at opening up about it. I figure I'm going to be uncomfortable anyway...might as well try to do some good. Anyway my question for the crew here is what would you present (mind you 5-8 minutes timeframe)?

I had thought of:
    What is Wegeners? My worry here is it's awfully specific to my own situation.
    What is Vasculitis? Actually I'm thinking maybe the Vasculitis Foundation in hopes of encouraging more support.

Or is there something completely different that I'm not even thinking of?
    You know, Bob, I agree with Don: keep it simple. Yet there may be some occasions that too much detail may help the presentation. You don't want to leave them with the impression that this is a simple disease--or no disease at all. I have found that, after the preliminaries (chronic, non-communicative, etc.) it (sometimes) works to go into great detail, how the immune system works at the level of cells and cytokines...and then, just as the eyes start to glaze over, say, "but you don't need to know any of that. The bottom line is...." So now they know that this is a complex disease that can be fatal and is always a life changer, but is usually manage-able. This way you don't have to delve too far into painful self-narratives. Just a suggestion....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! at Don( laughing out loud!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant help but go to the funny side of it all. Its how I roll you know. I have participated in both webinars on vasculitis and they are informative in a very dull way. The best I could do for a presentation on wegeners would probably be only about the ever fun side effects of prednisone. I worked as a boss in a stressfull job and my 100mg of prednisone a day while working stories really are quite funny to any of my staff who are still here-aka did not quit due to prednisone. Also the face my diagnosis doctor made to show me how mine was going to look makes me laugh to this day. If you are suposed to be serious, well, everything about wegeners is serious so at least you have a lot to chose from. good luck. you are a brave man. The only way I can talk about wegeners is if the entire listening audience is drunk and for sure wont remember in the morning.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny side is far better than being maudlin about all this...WG is what it is...and, like you Leigh, I tend to see the humor in it now...although it's a daily worry. If I don't laugh, I won't function to the best of my current abilities...that's how I see it...so I laugh about things insane and inane...but I do laugh...hell, I was laughing at the nurses while on Propofol...and saying some things I shouldn't have, the nurse's assistant, whom I ran into going back to the hospital for 'old times' sake' said I was a riot...great...a humorous Weggie let loose in ICU!! LOL...they said I was a handful, I didn't know, I was unconscious! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any Weggie stand up comedians??? Hmmmm, a new career...didja hear about the Weggie who............................................... ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually yes there are weggie comedians...wendy shanker to be exact.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast