Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scarring in lung

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Al;50695]In my case, Maria, I had no nodules--only a "ground glass" pattern on the scan. But a tissue sample from a bronchoscopy revealed fibrosis (scarring). Later scans are pretty clean.

I had ground glass and nodules which went away once the cytoxan and prednisone were started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maria, don't go too far down the road of thinking "now your daughter has yet another organ involved." Scarring can happen from any number of things and it doesn't necessarily indicate active lung involvement even if it's from Wegs. Do not rush into another CT scan. One chest CT scan is an enormous amount of radiation, more if they use contrast dye. Especially since your daughter is young, you have to be extremely conservative with her exposure.

In the past 5.5 years I've had over 50 chest x-rays and over 25 CTs (mostly to chest, and at least 1/3 with contrast). Most of that occurred in the first 2 years. It's a major risk for cancer. My docs don't order CTs or x-rays on me unless we absolutely have to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    My docs don't order CTs or x-rays on me unless we absolutely have to.
    same for me
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maria,
    I had nodules in my lungs when I was diagnosed, they did a CT in the hospital, and another one 6 months later that showed minimal scar tissue where the largest nodule was. My pulmonologist doesn't see any reason for another CT since it is healed. I've had a couple chest x-rays done when I've gotten a cold to check my lungs, but those are only a fraction of the radiation a CT has. As long as your daughter is monitoring her symptoms and is being treated, I don't think the scar tissue would be a problem. What did the doc say?

I think the way I would look at this is that if it is scar tissue, it is healed now, and that is a good thing. Maybe there was some slight involvement in the begining that her x-rays didn't show?
    Nicole

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12