Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTX side efffects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MTX side efffects

When taking MTX do you start feeling more side effects as time goes by? Im assuming by the meds supressing the immune system you get more suceptible to more infections and does your body feel weaker?Im trying to find out what to excpect in the next months. Today my daughter took her second dose. She asked me if she is soppose to get more side effects as the months past. Any Answers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly do not know. But with any immunosuppression there is always increased risk of infections.

I was on mtx twice but do not remember any bad side effects.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maria garcia View Post
    When taking MTX do you start feeling more side effects as time goes by? Im assuming by the meds supressing the immune system you get more suceptible to more infections and does your body feel weaker?Im trying to find out what to excpect in the next months. Today my daughter took her second dose. She asked me if she is soppose to get more side effects as the months past. Any Answers?
    I can't tell you about MTX specifically, Maria, because I don't take it. Many others here do, though, and will be sharing their experiences with it. About immuosuppresion in general, I can share this: Yes, you are at a higher risk for infection. This does not mean you can't live a mostly normal life, but it is a good idea to avoid large, rowdy crowds, those especially where people you know are sick are going to be getting too personal, like yelling in your face. Your body does not necessarily feel weaker. WIth some drugs, you have to keep checking the blood tests for indications of anemia. I am myself technically anemic, although I (usually) have enough energy to put in a full day's work. Part of this is, I think, that the prednisone counteracts the anemia to some extent. When I ws on a high dose, I regularly got up before 6:00 in the morning which was, both before and after, an unknown experience for me! And yes, side effects can change, but most of the changes, I think, are due to changes in dosage, or new medicines, or diet ( after starting Imuran, I found that some foods I could not stomach). But all these vary a lot from person to person, so all we can do is report our personal experiences, along with the standard list of side effects.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maria, I have been on MTX since April this year and my rheumy said it takes at least 6 to 8 weeks to settle in.
    I have had no side effects whatsoever from it.

I'm sure the drooling from the mouth, the hump on the back and the twitch of the second head attached to my shoulders has nothing to do with any MTX side effects.......sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I just take the normal precautions in regards to sick people, as Al has mentioned, and haven't seen any problems yet, in the past 7 months.....I am currently taking 20mg
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you that makes me feel much better. I though that when the MTX starts working on the cells or whatever it does inside the body the patient would feel weeker like chemo (cancer pts).

I feel much better. We do have an appointment in a month with the rheumy and her bloodwork wil be checked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been on Mtx for three years, no problems.
    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    Jim Carrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Al suggested, just be alert to major or minor changes in numbers in tests AND how your body is performing. I've been on mtx, low dosage, for a while now. Except for dosaging adjustments, have had no problems to date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been on Methotrexate first orally - which did make me sick, but now for the past 2 years and currently via injections and everything's just fine! Don't feel any different the Thursday mornings I take it (25mg). Sometimes I get the needle jitters, but I calm my mind down and get on with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been taking 20mg of Methotrexate orally and have had no side effects. My doctor told me I should also have 5mg of Folic Acid three days after taking the Methotrexate, and in the UK the NHS insists anyone on Methotrexate must have a blood test every two weeks.

Just to reinforce what others have said, yes the immune system is suppressed so a person is more at risk of infection. All my family and friends know not to visit me if they have a bad cold/flu/infection but one still has to lead a "normal" life like going shopping. Like most things in life one has got to weigh up the pro's and con's - last night I went out to a church fundraising function partly to support the church but also because I wanted some company. I decided the risk was worth taking.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    Just to reinforce what others have said, yes the immune system is suppressed so a person is more at risk of infection. All my family and friends know not to visit me if they have a bad cold/flu/infection but one still has to lead a "normal" life like going shopping. Like most things in life one has got to weigh up the pro's and con's - last night I went out to a church fundraising function partly to support the church but also because I wanted some company. I decided the risk was worth taking.
    As I have said before, it is not easy to be a complete human in an isolation bubble. We are social animals, and so much of our nature is tied up with this fact. There are trade-offs, of course, when the immune system is suppressed. On the whole, however, I truly believe in the therapeutic value of (careful) participation--to the extent that you enjoy it!

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast