Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Overdue Introduction

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    I have the 'roaring' also, as well as high pitched tinnitus in right ear. I've had the tinnitus for a long time, pre-WG diagnosis. The roaring has been diagnosed as due to sudden weight loss from my surgery. ENT says they have seen more and more of this in lap band surgery & late stage cancer weight loss...messes up the sinuses by making the Eustachian tubes too large...aka weight loss. Thus, we get roaring, or as I describe it, a wind tunnel effect. Same same. The procedure I'm headed in for in another week is considered fairly new I guess...ENT will inject collagen into Eustachian tube, thus 'sizing' it so my air passage thru there is more normal. Remind me to tell you about it if you're interested, or either of us can remember!! LOL
    Well, that's interesting, because my E. tubes are not enlarged, in fact they are blocked, so that I can't hear. So maybe it is a different kind of roaring. I haven't had any surgery, but did lose about 10 lbs. quickly a couple of months ago because I was so worried about some stuff in my life that I lost my appetite, even on pred. I have since gained that weight back. So, who knows what the heck is going on with my roaring. It's not doing it right now, and seems to do it when I taper pred or get really run down, maybe if I lose sleep, I don't know.

In any case, the procedure you will be getting sounds interesting and I hope it is a success! I wish they could inject something into my E-tubes to open them up. My ENT actually used the word "destroyed" in reference to them, though I don't know how he can know that without without being able to see them. But he says my eardrums are very caved in, to the point where they are right up against the small delicate bones of the middle ear and there is no room in there. He said it won't work to put tubes in, he didn't exactly explain why, but I'm guessing he means tubes couldn't be placed without possibly damaging those little bones.

So, in light of all that, I am blessed to have received good quality hearing aids without having had to pay much of anything for them.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually Anne, sometimes I just think the roaring is in my 'mind', not my ears...sure wish I had the number of that train that hit me!! Glad your aids are good...lots of competitive markets for them...I assume I will be rendering myself of them at some point in the future! LOL...take care!

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Actually Anne, sometimes I just think the roaring is in my 'mind', not my ears...sure wish I had the number of that train that hit me!! Glad your aids are good...lots of competitive markets for them...I assume I will be rendering myself of them at some point in the future! LOL...take care!

Don
    I get the same feeling about the roaring maybe being in my mind. I actually only have one aid operating at this point, which was donated to the audiology dept. at my ENT office, and I recently inherited two more from my dad, who passed away this year, and I've already determined that they work by attaching my custom ear piece to them.... Now just need to get a custom ear piece for my right ear, too. These are the type that go over the ear and have the tube attached that goes into the earpiece. I keep hoping I'm one of those whose hearing will come back someday..... but am prepared for that not to be the case. You take care, too!

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I even have voices. Not many any more. And the tinnitus does seem to be decreasing a bit over time. But it is still there a still annoying......lol.

I guess I have had it for so many years now that I sort of get used to it. But at times it seems like it is really loud and it keeps me awake at night.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I even have voices. Not many any more. And the tinnitus does seem to be decreasing a bit over time. But it is still there a still annoying......lol.
    I guess I have had it for so many years now that I sort of get used to it. But at times it seems like it is really loud and it keeps me awake at night.
    You make it sound like Jeanne d'Arc, Phil. (I hope the voices told you something important!) Was this before the severe hearing loss, during, or after?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The voices were most severe after the CI surgery and before I got turned. But the voices started coming about June or so. I don't hear them any more though. I try and wear the processors and coils as long as possible each day so that my brain can process all the sounds and hopefully the hearing will improve over time.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found that AFTER surgery, the drugs they used on me took time to leave the body, thus I was 'seeing and saying' things that should not be repeated!! LOL...well, I spose you can tell about Star Wars Storm Troopers coming thru my ICU!! LOL...consequently, I saw and said things I usually don't...never heard voices though unless it was someone else 'whispering' at or about me!! Ha! But, it's very likely that a residue of drugs can cause sensations/experiences we have not had before...believe me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Hi, there, Al,

Well, Michelle has mentioned bubble wrap three times on this thread, so I thought she might want to start a discussion on it, if anyone has anything to add.

If we get started on cats, we'll probably never stop, and on some threads, would most likely get Putined. I'm sorry your daughter's cat got "coyoted". That is something I've worried about here, which may have explained a couple of disappearances. I know they are around. So I have installed an electronic coyote deterrent, manufactured by a guy in Missouri, which sounds off at night, and is supposedly exactly like the hiss emitted by cougars when they are defending their territory, or some such. I've had it 3 or 4 years and haven't lost any cats in that time.

We have also had a raccoon problem within the city limits of Olympia. A gang of them started terrorizing a neighborhood, killing cats left and right. It made the national news. But my cats don't seem to tangle with them, and I know of cats who live in close proximity, sharing territory with them. I think the ones in town just got tired of being encroached upon more and more by civilization, their territory was being developed and their food sources dwindling. Who can blame them? I think they were relocated and I haven't heard anything since, but lots of cat enclosures were built in backyards around there.

As for the metaphor thing, well, my Weggie mind is having trouble with that word right now, though I generally know what it means.... are you referring to survival of the fittest, or karma, or just the great chain of life (that IS a metaphor)? Not sure what you mean by "that we can't see"... do you mean we can't see the metaphor or we can't see all life? Forgive me if I'm being dense.

Well, I have some work to do tonight but will ponder all that and be back later.

Anne
    This someone mention cats? I LOVE CAT! I have a few of my own and I feed and spay and neuter strays. I like frogs too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maria garcia View Post
    This someone mention cats? I LOVE CAT! I have a few of my own and I feed and spay and neuter strays. I like frogs too.
    Yes, someone mentioned cats! I LOVE cats, too! Maybe we should start a whole new thread in the non-Wegs-related section on cats and/or other animals! BTW, mine are all feral born and rescued as kittens, and I help care for their feral relatives, which have been spayed and neutered by a local organization and returned to their location, since they are too wild to adopt.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am almost positive there is such a thread
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast