Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Overdue Introduction

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Sorry--one last leap into the void: I might have been wrong to talk about the frogs being mean; maybe they are just full of hops. (Or is that, in an agricultural sense, too regional...?)
    OK, OK. Maybe not too regional, since hops are also grown in California and I'm not sure where else. And there are frogs everywhere, I'm sure, even in Maryland! Too bad they apparently don't like stink bugs. Now we have come full circle and gotten out of our regional rut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frogs, did someone say "Frogs". I love frogs (not as much as bubble wrap)...... who send they are mean ???

Frogs are a protected species in Australia except for the cane toads which were introduced to Queensland, from Hawaii, to kill the cane beetle.
    Big big mistake. They don't eat adult beetles and the larvae of the beetles are underground before they hatch and therefore this did not work at all.

We have frogs in our backyard. My daughters dog (big he-man chihuhua) had a frog in his mouth the other week but didn't close his mouth on it. Was kind of wondering what he really should do with it. My husband took it out of the dogs mouth, held it in his hand until the poor frogs heartbeat relaxed and then put him out in to the front yard instead....poor little tree frog.

And yep, we also have stink bugs .......but not in abundance (so keep them over there thanks)
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Michelle,

It's refreshing to have you chime in about frogs! And I have neglected to acknowledge your love of bubble wrap. I have a bit of a stash myself, but am probably not quite as enamored of it as you are.

I like frogs, too. I hear them more than see them around here. But once, a cat of mine got ahold of one. The frog screamed, which was upsetting to me. But I got it away from the cat, it appeared to be unharmed, and I released it to an overgrown, swampy spot where I hope the cat couldn't find it. The same thing has happened with baby garter snakes, although they don't scream. My current cats are a little more of homebodies, and although they do hunt a bit, they aren't as fanatical about it as that previous cat was. Cats! Now there's another subject.

I wonder why stinkbugs are so much more rampant in some areas than others? None around here that I know of, but I could be wrong.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    It's refreshing to have you chime in about frogs! And I have neglected to acknowledge your love of bubble wrap. I have a bit of a stash myself, but am probably not quite as enamored of it as you are....I like frogs, too. I hear them more than see them around here. But once, a cat of mine got ahold of one. The frog screamed, which was upsetting to me. But I got it away from the cat, it appeared to be unharmed, and I released it to an overgrown, swampy spot where I hope the cat couldn't find it. The same thing has happened with baby garter snakes, although they don't scream. My current cats are a little more of homebodies, and although they do hunt a bit, they aren't as fanatical about it as that previous cat was. Cats! Now there's another subject....
    So, do we go on to bubble wrap? Cool for the holidays. Or cats and predators? Oh, the great chain of life. My daughter lived in a rural area near Olympia for a few years. Her cat would regularly make presentations of rodents and such--then got taken herself by a coyote. The next cat was huge and strong, who I think would have returned the favor. You know, there is a metaphor in this for much of life that we can't see...you think?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    So, do we go on to bubble wrap? Cool for the holidays. Or cats and predators? Oh, the great chain of life. My daughter lived in a rural area near Olympia for a few years. Her cat would regularly make presentations of rodents and such--then got taken herself by a coyote. The next cat was huge and strong, who I think would have returned the favor. You know, there is a metaphor in this for much of life that we can't see...you think?

Al
    Hi, there, Al,

Well, Michelle has mentioned bubble wrap three times on this thread, so I thought she might want to start a discussion on it, if anyone has anything to add.

If we get started on cats, we'll probably never stop, and on some threads, would most likely get Putined. I'm sorry your daughter's cat got "coyoted". That is something I've worried about here, which may have explained a couple of disappearances. I know they are around. So I have installed an electronic coyote deterrent, manufactured by a guy in Missouri, which sounds off at night, and is supposedly exactly like the hiss emitted by cougars when they are defending their territory, or some such. I've had it 3 or 4 years and haven't lost any cats in that time.

We have also had a raccoon problem within the city limits of Olympia. A gang of them started terrorizing a neighborhood, killing cats left and right. It made the national news. But my cats don't seem to tangle with them, and I know of cats who live in close proximity, sharing territory with them. I think the ones in town just got tired of being encroached upon more and more by civilization, their territory was being developed and their food sources dwindling. Who can blame them? I think they were relocated and I haven't heard anything since, but lots of cat enclosures were built in backyards around there.

As for the metaphor thing, well, my Weggie mind is having trouble with that word right now, though I generally know what it means.... are you referring to survival of the fittest, or karma, or just the great chain of life (that IS a metaphor)? Not sure what you mean by "that we can't see"... do you mean we can't see the metaphor or we can't see all life? Forgive me if I'm being dense.

Well, I have some work to do tonight but will ponder all that and be back later.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al...oh Al....AL!!!!! You have some 'splainin to do for Anne!! smiles...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Well, Michelle has mentioned bubble wrap three times on this thread, so I thought she might want to start a discussion on it, if anyone has anything to add.
    That's okay Anne, I don't mind having all of the bubbles to myself....really I don't.

I was actually thinking last night (scary to imagine, I know) that I should bubble wrap the car to protect it when I take my daughter out for her driving lessons.

Anyway, back to your metaphors Al.

As always ..................
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Al...oh Al....AL!!!!! You have some 'splainin to do for Anne!! smiles...
    I wasn't trying to rattle Al's cage about the metaphors, just a little confused at the time, no big deal...... Lots of metaphors in our discussions, for sure... I was trying to think back to 6th grade English class about the differences between metaphors, similes, and hyperboles...

He's probably asleep or working or drinking coffee or something and will be back with something to say, I'm sure....

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al needs his cage rattled, actually, he enjoys it!! And, you're right, he probably won't let this slip...just to make sure!! LOL...yes, we are full of metaphors and such with this disease...so many symptoms, so many ways to go, and no one seems to really know...sighs...best of luck Anne!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, until I got used to Al's posts I had to read them all 5 times to straighten out in my mind what it was he was saying. I am not dumb I just am a little blunt in my speach and I guess also my reading. I am on to him now though...no more confusing me. nope. not gonna happen
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast