User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving ,what are you thankfull for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanksgiving ,what are you thankfull for?

I am thankfull that even though my government thinks pizza is a vegetible and the un thinks
    water isn't a cure for dehydration,I'm lucky enough to live in a country in which i have the power to make
    my own decisions,now it's time to call pizza hut and order a salad...lol

My Health
    My Family
    My heath care

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thankful that thanksgiving canada has long since come and gone and I do not have to make a turkey dinner tonight nor do I have to attend one.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thankful...just thankful, doesn't matter what...it's been a long trip from this last August to now...yeah, just thankful...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear fellow weggies,

This eve of the national holiday that is still relatively uncommercialized, and remains close to its symbolic roots—the wider family that draws together to give thanks for what they have—I wish to reflect.

You will notice that I have changed my avatar. Partly, this is because I was getting tired of seeing my silly mug and Bailey-shrouded balding pate. The other part is that I would like to put my widened family into a geographic context. The view is from my “therapy loft”. We are at the northern edge of Puget Sound (now officially called the Salish Sea, though most people still call it Puget Sound). Looking NNW, the next island over is Waldron; then the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. In the distance (if you can make it out at low resolution) is Vancouver Island, Victoria out of view to the south.

At the south end of this great fjord lies Olympia, where Anne lives. Kirk is a little ways up the west side of Puget Sound. HypnoticEyez is in Renton, just south of Seattle, snuggled against glacier-formed Lake Washington. To the north sits the city of Vancouver. You cannot see very far north from my house; Buck Mountain gets in the way. But my walking route makes a cirle of about 3 km around the hill. Half way around, you get a pretty good look at Bellingham and Vancouver, with Mt. Baker off to the NE. Harvi lives in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver; Jolanta is in Mission, a little further up the Fraser river. Going east across the Cascade Mountains, ArlaMo hangs out in Walla Walla, and then Vdub, quite willingly in a decidedly non-urban setting. Northwest, through the wheat fields, the timber lands, and the magnificently fruited Okanagan Valley, then north and east, we arrive at the spine of the continent, the Rockie Mountains, and the city of Jasper, where Marta resides and, when she can, skis. Back to my loft. If I could follow my view along a great circle route, I would end up is Austrailia, home to Michelle, Andrew, and others.

I'll stop my tour at this point (perhaps to hike a while, and photograph the gorgeous landscapes), But you get the idea: Our forum, our family, is “local” only in a virtual sense; geographically, we are all over the map, so to speak. The circle widens; the chain of life extends as far as we want to take it. Indeed, any physicist would tell you that we are, literally, stardust, which may be true, but we can stick a little closer to home and my point would still be valid. That you are all, now, my friends and family is a remarkable thing. I have never, to my knowledge, ever been in the same room with any of you, nor would you know my voice from that of, say, Genghis Khan (or, for that matter, Lucretia de Borgia). Yet here we are, dealing with something of a common issue, though with our own unique variations. Howbeit, it is also true that we surely have many other things in common, along with a host of differences.

In a recent New Yorker essay, Adam Gopnik uses the metaphor of Thanksgiving dinners to make a point about “widening the aesthetic circle”. Plain turkey goes only so far; why not, for instance, moo shu tofu tostadas? I see this as a good thing—not as a sign of eroding cultural values, but, rather, of growth. Out of many, one, you know. I have learned much from and with my new buddies on this mission we have been conscripted for. I am utterly thankful for you all, if not actually for the reason we are together in the first place!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was very nice Al...wonder IF we...meaning YOU...could somehow collect the various areas of the world we represent, then, perhaps, put a map or list or something on this site for reference? Oh, btw, it's 'albeit', not 'howbeit'....sheesh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Among many other things I am most thankful to still be alive.
    I my have Wegener's Granulomatosis and that I can't change. What I can change is how I choose to deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    That was very nice Al...wonder IF we...meaning YOU...could somehow collect the various areas of the world we represent, then, perhaps, put a map or list or something on this site for reference? Oh, btw, it's 'albeit', not 'howbeit'....sheesh!
    (Actually, Don, I meant howbeit, as in "in any case", or "nevertheless". Howbeit, there is a wegs map from this site. I'll see if I can find the link.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post

We are at the northern edge of Puget Sound (now officially called the Salish Sea, though most people still call it Puget Sound). Looking NNW, the next island over is Waldron; then the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. In the distance (if you can make it out at low resolution) is Vancouver Island, Victoria out of view to the south.

At the south end of this great fjord lies Olympia, where Anne lives. Kirk is a little ways up the west side of Puget Sound. HypnoticEyez is in Renton, just south of Seattle, snuggled against glacier-formed Lake Washington. To the north sits the city of Vancouver. You cannot see very far north from my house; Buck Mountain gets in the way. But my walking route makes a cirle of about 3 km around the hill. Half way around, you get a pretty good look at Bellingham and Vancouver, with Mt. Baker off to the NE. Harvi lives in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver; Jolanta is in Mission, a little further up the Fraser river. Going east across the Cascade Mountains, ArlaMo hangs out in Walla Walla, and then Vdub, quite willingly in a decidedly non-urban setting. Northwest, through the wheat fields, the timber lands, and the magnificently fruited Okanagan Valley, then north and east, we arrive at the spine of the continent, the Rockie Mountains, and the city of Jasper, where Marta resides and, when she can, skis. Back to my loft. If I could follow my view along a great circle route, I would end up is Austrailia, home to Michelle, Andrew, and others.
    Puget Sound was officially changed to the Salish Sea? How come I wasn't informed?

Al, I had no idea that there were so many PNWers with WG. On a positive note I can't say I am thankful for what brings us together as a family, but none the less I welcome all of you into my extended family. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I my have Wegener's Granulomatosis and that I can't change. What I can change is how I choose to deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoticEyez View Post
    Puget Sound was officially changed to the Salish Sea? How come I wasn't informed?

Al, I had no idea that there were so many PNWers with WG. On a positive note I can't say I am thankful for what brings us together as a family, but none the less I welcome all of you into my extended family. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Here is the Wiki page on the Salish Sea: Salish Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are several of us in te general area, plus a few, I'm sure, who haven't made their presence known. Then there is Don, a recovering Northwesterner, now living in some golf community in Arizona, of all places. Anyway, I am sure that we are all thankful to be alive and able to participate!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THAT wasn't nice......................LOLOLOLOL...you ARE good Al...you make me laugh...good to do that...you have a talent...then again, it is 80 here today, no clouds, light breeze, blue skies...yes, thankful...very...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast