Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does WG pain feel like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, no swelling or anything.

HypnoticEyez, you make me feel better about having a baby in the future. Labor has always seemed scary to me, but if I can handle Wegs, and it's worse, I think I can handle labor
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Wow. Getting them all raised up must have involved a few pains as well....
    Al, I think I was blessed to have had children that weren't much of a pain. My oldest is 37 and youngest 20. My last child died of SIDS 16 years a go at the age of 4 months 17 days.
    I my have Wegener's Granulomatosis and that I can't change. What I can change is how I choose to deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoticEyez View Post
    Al, I think I was blessed to have had children that weren't much of a pain. My oldest is 37 and youngest 20. My last child died of SIDS 16 years a go at the age of 4 months 17 days.
    That's outstanding. Mine were pretty painless also, but then, there are only two (now 36 and 31). I am sorry to hear of your loss. I've known parents who have outlived one or more of their children, including my in-laws. But I cannot imagine it.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NicShaf View Post
    I can tell you the pain was very reminiscent of a broken bone in intensity. I actually found recovering from several surgeries to be considerably easier than dealing with the Wegs pain. At it's peak I couldn't walk down the stairs because my legs didn't want to support me. I didn't have any swelling until well past the pain starting, like 3-4 weeks into dealing with the pain.

THe only place I still get the pain on a regular basis is in my index finger on my right hand. I'd love to know why that is. Otherwise I appear to be solidly in or near remission. Weird.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NicShaf View Post

HypnoticEyez, you make me feel better about having a baby in the future. Labor has always seemed scary to me, but if I can handle Wegs, and it's worse, I think I can handle labor
    Nicole, at almost 58 I would gladly do it all over again, if I could. The pain of birth was a piece of cake compared to the joint pain from WG. Before being hospitalized for the 3 time I literally could not stand up, lift anything, dress or feed myself. I couldn't even type, which meant no internet. I had pain in me legs, shoulders, back, elbows, hands and eyes. It was the worst pain that I have ever experienced. At almost 58 I have experience a lot of pain in my lifetime.
    I my have Wegener's Granulomatosis and that I can't change. What I can change is how I choose to deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had joint pain that I thought was arthritis, on and off, for a couple of years before being diagnosed with WG. I tested negative for RA and am now sure it was the WG. It ranged from mild to debilitating, and I know it was painful, but I'm having trouble remembering how painful because the pred almost totally controls it for me. I'm surprised to hear of the level of pain that some people are suffering, because it sounds worse than what I've experienced. My condolences to those sufferers, and I realize I shouldn't assume that I won't be feeling that much pain someday.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember the debilitating joint pain and no doctor could explain how it could move from one area to another while i slept or tried to sleep. After treatment I also had a lot of other cramps and muscle pains which I assume now were related to various deficiencies from malnourishment resulting from treatment, such as low sodium, calcium etc. At least the joint pains and other issues related to active Wegs went away after treatment and attaining a drug induced remission. Some of my pains before and after Wegs also related to my neuropathy which had been present before Wegs from diabetes but got much worse after diagnosis.

Pain is supposed to be a useful warning sing that something is seriously wrong, but it seems that with Wegs even this can get screwed up at times. Some times pain seems to happen for no useful reasons. Usually though these pains seem transitory.

The worst pain I have had since treatment started for Wegs was when both my ear drums ruptured from an infection that happened or caused my latest flare a few months ago. I can usually ignore most pain but that one drove me to ER at 2 am where I unfortunately got no help or relief until they ruptured a few hours later. My ear drums didn't believe the doctor who said that wouldn't happen.
    Last edited by drz; 11-24-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    The worst pain I have had since treatment started for Wegs was when both my ear drums ruptured from an infection that happened or caused my latest flare a few months ago. I can usually ignore most pain but that one drove me to ER at 2 am where I unfortunately got no help or relief until they ruptured a few hours later. My ear drums didn't believe the doctor who said that wouldn't happen.
    I guess I'm just weird! I had a very bad ear infection in both ears.... the official start of my Wegs career, I think... and the ear drums ruptured, but I never felt much severe pain! A lot of discomfort, yes. Everyone is different, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh the pain, how well we know this new BFF. Besides the ear pain, and pink eye, the joint pain was the most awful. I could not move my head, lift anything, dressing was a messy chore and so on. The various cramps, the dropped foot and these debilitating flash like nerve pains and now neuropathy of the feet (an no I never had and do not have Diabetes)seem never to go away. After recent consultation with my neurologist, if the neurons (nerves) have not regenerated in 2 years (it has been 4) than that is that and they never will. At least the awful pain is gone and while debilitating I can live with the flash pains as long as they dont bunch together.
    Jolanta

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12