Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is weggies genetic???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default is weggies genetic???

jus wondering if wg is genetic im so scared that my four year old will develop it. she has had a few nose bleeds and its alarming to me bcuz that was my first sign of weggies. i talked to her doc and he referring us to a pediatric rhemotologist to get blood work done to see if she might i have it fingerz crossed that she doesnt i just dont think i can handle it if she does i know how horrible this illness can be and i do not want her to go threw this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been assured by my doctor that WG is not genetic, he did go on to say that there is a very, very slight increased risk. Some studies by the UK's NHS shows that there is a 1:250,000 chance of getting WG and for children of a sufferer a 2:250,000 chance of contracting the disease.

My daughters are 29 and 32 so I have told them of the slight risk but have made sure they know about all the various symptoms so they can go to a doctor earlier rather than risk WG not being diagnosed. Having said all that it is a good idea to get your daughter checked out, there is still plenty more to learn about this disease (like why is it virtually unheard of in Japan and why are all immune diseases on the increase?).
    Last edited by Dryhill; 11-21-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling error
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Auto Immune disorders are. My mother in law had scleroderma (AI) and now my daughter has Wegners. Just my idea nothing proven. My Rheumy said yes. But everything I have read does not give a concrete answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything I've read about GPA is that it is not genetic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Everything I've read about GPA is that it is not genetic.
    Yes and no. There is, as Dryhill says, a slightly increased risk with family association, but it is difficult to distinguish between family correlations and actual genetic causes. At any rate, genetics do come into play, but at the level of day-to-day gene expression (which genes are turned on and off on an hour-hour basis), rather than the content of the DNA molecule. There are many factors that drive gene expression. This warrants a long discussion, but...another time. The easy answer is, though this question is complicated, there is no clear genetic component.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are test being done to determine if it's genetic. Nose bleeds are normal in children and may be due to dryness. I hope the test will show all is just fine and your little girl is as healthy as can be.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try not to think that this disease might be genetic but find myself worrying when either of my children complain of something. A few years ago my daughter was getting one sinus infection after another and I worried. That time was exam stress which was making her more susceptible to illness. Once that was over she has been fine. Recently she has been complaining of aches in her hands. She thinks it is from a lot of typing...sure it probably is but still I am concerned. I do not say anything to her or my son but it is always at the back of my mind. I tell myself that at least should WG show itself in my children it will be diagnosed and treated early. I have recently been in contact with a young man who was diagnosed aged 30 shortly after he got married. Five years down the line he has fathered 2 children and competes in iron man competitions....and on diagnosis they fought to save his kidneys! So maybe it is not the end of the world should it be genetic. We are aware and if caught and treated early living a full life is a possibility
    Last edited by Rose; 11-21-2011 at 02:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If AI diseases are mainly caused by environmental poisons, there could be some family correlation since most family members generally share the same environment.

Is is generally unheard of in Japan? Is this due to failure to diagnose or actually lack of incidence. Maybe the Japanese have developed a higher tolerance to toxins from heavy exposures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    If AI diseases are mainly caused by environmental poisons, there could be some family correlation since most family members generally share the same environment.

Is is generally unheard of in Japan? Is this due to failure to diagnose or actually lack of incidence. Maybe the Japanese have developed a higher tolerance to toxins from heavy exposures.
    From what I have read wg has a much higher incidence in caucasians (around 90%) than in other ethnic groups and is even less likely in Japan (around 3%), but this of course could be poor diagnosis. On the other hand the Japanese do eat a lot more fish than most westerners, could that be a reason?

The fact that AI diseases are increasing more in western civilisation could again be down to poor diagnosis or perhaps to do with environmental reasons (diet and pollution just to name two). As one can see we are not likely to get a quick answer to these questions even if we assume there is plenty of money available for such research.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx all for your reply s.. i really hope weggies isnt genetic. =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast