Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methotrexate and Omeprazole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Methotrexate and Omeprazole

Hello! I just found this on the internet and thought I would share. I dont' understand much of it but the last sentence makes sense to me! Any thoughts?
    I don't think I will be taking Omeprazole until I can talk to my doctor about it. I was taking it because sometimes I wake up at night with acid reflux.

Abstract

Omeprazole inhibits the gastric hydrogen pump and is an effective treatment for peptic ulcers. Methotrexate is a chemotherapeutic agent that inhibits dihydrofolate reductase and is eliminated by a hydrogen-ion-dependent mechanism in the kidney. We present evidence that omeprazole inhibits methotrexate clearance and may result in potentially toxic methotrexate levels.

Impact of omeprazole on the plasm... [Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 1993] - PubMed - NCBI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is one on Prilosec which I think is similar to Omeprazole. Screamin' meanie you aren't taking these together are you? Just thinking of your side effects.

Methotrexate/Proton Pump Inhibitors
    This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.
    Medical warning:
    Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.
    How the interaction occurs:
    Proton pump inhibitors may decrease the ability of your kidneys to remove methotrexate from your body.
    What might happen:
    The amount of methotrexate in your body may increase, which may cause more serious, potentially life threatening side effects.
    What you should do about this interaction:
    Make sure your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together.Your doctor may want to monitor the amount of methotrexate in your blood, change the dose of your methotrexate, or change your acid medicine. Let your doctor know right away if you develop nausea, stomach pain, yellowing of the eyes or skin, dark urine, fever, fatigue, a persistent sore throat, easy bruising or bleeding, black stools, a change in the amount of urine you pass, skin rash, breathing problems, dry cough, diarrhea, or mouth sores while taking these medicines together.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.

webiste:
    Interactions between Prilosec Oral and METHOTREXATE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for that info Kami. I have been taking Omeprazole because I am on Ctx, but as I am being weaned off Ctx I am taking Methotrexate at the same time.I am at vthe hospital tomorrow for a Ctx infusion so I will query taking Omeprazole.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omeprazole is to protect the stomach from pred.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Omeprazole is to protect the stomach from pred.
    Omeprazole was prescribed to me despite my CTX being in IV form. I complained to Drac, on the grounds that the ulcer research was inconclusive, so there was no reason to further screw around with body chemistry. He actually agreed....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was at the hospital today I showed the article to one of the dopctors and she said that was one of the things that they were checking for when I have my fortnightly blood test. So if you are concerned about the effects of Omeprazole and Methotrexate ask for a regular blood test to check on the build up of Methotrexate.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, Kami, for posting this information. Even though I don't personally take this drug (I take Prevacid [lansoprazole] instead for the same reasons), your post is a perfect example of why this forum is so vitally helpful for so many of us. It is precisely these types of alerts that help us avoid falling into more pitfalls as we battle the sinkhole of Wegs that's already got us. Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thakator View Post
    Thank you, Kami, for posting this information. Even though I don't personally take this drug (I take Prevacid [lansoprazole] instead for the same reasons), your post is a perfect example of why this forum is so vitally helpful for so many of us. It is precisely these types of alerts that help us avoid falling into more pitfalls as we battle the sinkhole of Wegs that's already got us. Ron
    Have you taken any of the other similar drugs? My gastroenterologist suggested i try another similar drug since the protonix doesn't seem to working as well lately for me even though there is no big reson to believe one will work much better than another but iknow for me I tried Prilosec and Nexum without much luck before I got some relief from Protonix. Sometimes one does work better for some unknown reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting, Kami. I've never seen that info before. Thanks for posting it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doc warned me about this when she told me to start taking it, and checks my blood monthly. I suppose now that I'm off pred (and lowering mtx), I should try to get off the omeprazole. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from my doc on my latest bloodwork and hoping that I'll be able to decrease mtx again (to 15mg weekly). I've noticed I am defintely feeling better, the less mtx I have in my system. If all is well on the latest report, I will drop the mtx and start trying to get off omeprazole. It seems to help with the side effects of mtx as well, so I'm not going to rush it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast