Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methotrexate and Omeprazole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on a double dose of protonix, to relieve the dry cough many of us get...worked for about 3 days, now cough is back. Am reducing pred now as body is reacting well to mtx dosages now. Doc says reduction in mtx may be next...on 6 week checkups. My point is: mtx is so powerful we have to balance against it as it does what it's supposed to do, so we need to be aware and react accordingly...knowledge is power, power is reason to act, we need to keep acting upon this weird little disease! One of the things many people on here are learning is that 'we' must be our own docs also...that is, discuss it, question it, try it, and most of all, make it our own...be patient, persistent, and positive!! Have a good one all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was first admitted to the hospital and they were trying to diagnose me I had several teams of doctors, and med students, more people then I could keep up with and I was very sick so it wasn't easy but one thing I remember them telling me over and over was "You have to be in charge of your own health." They meant to pay attention and ask all the questions I wanted. I found that very refreshing that they wanted my input, and after 2 years, they still do. My doctor always lets me help decide what to do next (at least he makes it seem that way)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Mum is back on the MTX - she had been on it a few years ago but it did nothing for her RA and was put on other things. She had bad reactions to it - extreme nausea and was bed ridden for a few days after taking it.

She never took any acid blockers but since I found out about them she asked for them too. On Thursday night I heard a loud thud and expexted it to be my dog - it was my Mum who had fallen out of bed. I turned her light on and she was so pale - she had grey lips and hands, was very disorientated, a pounding headache and nausea. Scared the life outta me.

I told my mum about this thread and that MTX and Omeprazole interact so she went to see her doctor. She told the doctor and she said she wished they were kept up to date with these things - I said to my mum well the info is out there - all she has to do is to look. Even my pharmacist had warned me about possile interactions months ago.

Needless to say I'm not impressed. Doctor told my mum to stop the Omeprazole.

Thanks guys for posting this info!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's important to know that not all Ant-Acids are created equal. A year before getting diagnosed with Wegeners I had a Hiatal Hernia repair called a Nissin Wrap. Omeprazole blocks the production of stomach acid as where pepsid AC mitigates it. If you go cold turkey off of Omeprazole your stomach will go into hyper acid production and you will suffer the consequences. Ulcers and so on. My Surgeon weened me off of Omeprazole and put Pepsid in it's place. Made me take pepsid for 3 months after weening me off of Omeprazole and then weened me off the Pepsid so I could stop the antacids altogether. Then along comes Wegeners and Cytoxan so I'm on Pepsid again. I refused to let them put me on Omeprazole and if you want to come off of it make sure you consult a doctor and do it the right way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you wean off Omeprazole? Did you take it every other day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember the schedule exactly but something like that. I would consult a Gastroenterologist or in my case I had a surgeon who was wicked knowledgeable about the differences in the medications. I remember he told me never to go cold turkey off the Omeprazole, Protonix, Prilosec or any of that particular type of med. He lowered my dosage then staggered the days and eventually replaced it with Pepsid for 3 full months before I was able to come off the pepsid. So now I take Famotadine which is the generic for Pepsid to counter the Cytoxan. I refused to go back on the others and explained to my Rheumy why. She agreed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyl View Post
    I don't remember the schedule exactly but something like that. I would consult a Gastroenterologist or in my case I had a surgeon who was wicked knowledgeable about the differences in the medications. I remember he told me never to go cold turkey off the Omeprazole, Protonix, Prilosec or any of that particular type of med. He lowered my dosage then staggered the days and eventually replaced it with Pepsid for 3 full months before I was able to come off the pepsid. So now I take Famotadine which is the generic for Pepsid to counter the Cytoxan. I refused to go back on the others and explained to my Rheumy why. She agreed!
    Good for you, Gunny!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on Protonix a few times while on high dose pred and didn't have any trouble stopping cold turkey. (I took 40 mg once a day) I understand the doctor's reasoning and believe it to be valid. I just want to say that not everyone is doomed to a prolonged taper if they use Protonix.

Protonix was the only one that worked for me while I was on pred.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, not everyone gets 'tapered' all the time. It's best to see if one needs it initially, let a reaction occur if necessary, then deal with it...

I take protonix both from recent surgery and WG...seems to work for stomach...although the double dose right now is aimed at reducing my 'dry cough'. It isn't working real well, so may go to Prilosec, we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyl View Post
    It's important to know that not all Ant-Acids are created equal. A year before getting diagnosed with Wegeners I had a Hiatal Hernia repair called a Nissin Wrap. Omeprazole blocks the production of stomach acid as where pepsid AC mitigates it. If you go cold turkey off of Omeprazole your stomach will go into hyper acid production and you will suffer the consequences. Ulcers and so on. My Surgeon weened me off of Omeprazole and put Pepsid in it's place. Made me take pepsid for 3 months after weening me off of Omeprazole and then weened me off the Pepsid so I could stop the antacids altogether. Then along comes Wegeners and Cytoxan so I'm on Pepsid again. I refused to let them put me on Omeprazole and if you want to come off of it make sure you consult a doctor and do it the right way.
    This is very good to know. Thanks for posting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12