Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Reverse Damage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reverse Damage

Can damage of the Lungs or kidneys be reversed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lungs will heal over time, whether they ever regain their original elasticity and capacities is up to the conditions of each individual, but most likely will never return to full capacity. I have 12% irreversible damage to my lower right lobe in the lungs...nothing to do with WG, just years of not taking care of my body. Doesn't seem to affect my daily routines much, then again, I don't do triathlons!! LOL!! To my knowledge, there is no reversal available for kidney disease. Dialysis, drugs, dietary habits, and exercise over time will stall the disease, but not cure it. Take it as it comes, be safe about it, be persistent...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maria garcia View Post
    Maria, the simple answer is no, depending on the kind of damage. But normal kidneys and lungs, like your daughter's, have an enormous reserve. So this is not a worry for her at present, and maybe never. My kidneys are not in good shape, but I am still doing just fine. I do not need dialysis, and life is pretty good.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Al Im sorry with these sill questions. I just met a young girl 10 years old to be exact who ended up in the hospital after several months being undiagnosed. She has damage in her kidneys, even after medication she is going to need a transplant. She has MPA I have her in FB and also on a caring bridge page. She also has water in her lungs and heart. Her story has really troubled me. I know my daughter is not near that point but I can help to feel saddned for the girl and scarred for mine. I recieved your PM thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Maria Garcia,

I am sorry for you to be a member of the 'Mom's /w kids w/ chronic disease' club. My daughter was first diagnosed with Crohn's disease in '99 and Weg in 2006. Your last two sentences touched me...I have made many friends of those that are parents to children with these diseases, but when it happens to your own, it is a very different feeling indeed. I too, couldn't help but worry that my daughter might be as seriously affected as others one day, and accompanied by the shared sorrow of the other child's more severe plight ....not an easy place to rest one's head on the pillow at night. But, we have persisted, my daughter has done very well considering, since 1999. She was only 14 when first diagnosed. She is very happily married and the proud Mama to twin Great Dane puppies.

I have tremendous faith that science and medicine are advancing at such a rapid rate, that our children may eventually rest in peace, with autoimmune diseases put to rest. In the mean time, follow the advice of those with experience on this and other sites, and take care of yourself, while you take care of your family. Best Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and no! I have about 2/3 lung function and 40% kidney function now but that is a lot more than i had last year shortly after diagnosis so the treatment helped me recover enough function to get by but not up to what I had before the GPA hit me hard last year. I can get by now without oxygen and dialysis so l feel fortunate.
    Last edited by drz; 11-14-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Al Im sorry with these sill questions. I just met a young girl 10 years old to be exact who ended up in the hospital after several months being undiagnosed. She has damage in her kidneys, even after medication she is going to need a transplant. She has MPA I have her in FB and also on a caring bridge page. She also has water in her lungs and heart. Her story has really troubled me. I know my daughter is not near that point but I can help to feel saddned for the girl and scarred for mine. I recieved your PM thanks.
    Maria, I always to to be neither a cheerleader or a doomsayer, but to look at things as they are, and as they are likely to become. It is true that there are terrible things that happen in the world, including horrible medical situations. Yes, we do (and should) feel saddened for the victims. We would be less than human if we did not. But it is important not to generalize too much. What happens to someone, somewhere is not the same thing as "it's going to happen to me". Yes, bad things happen to good people, and bless you for your feelings for others. (If my disease puts me in a bad state, I want you on my side!) But we must face these things when they happen, and not before.

Al