Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Prednisone Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prednisone Question

Finally my daughter was give her prescription for MTX 15 mg ones a week. Prednisone 10 mg, folic acid 1 mg.
    My Question is about prednisone, I have heard so many bad stories, But defenitley higher dosage. What can I (my daughter and me) expect in side effects taking 10 mg? my husband feels she should only take 5 mg. I told him we need to follow Dr. orders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please follow the doctor's guidelines. Side effects at 10 mg aren't that bad but some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She only weights 95 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maria garcia View Post
    She only weights 95 pounds.
    For real inflammation, Maria, 10 mg isn't so much. Many of us started at more than three times that per unit of body weight. So, yes,, please do as the doctor recommends. Since you asked what to expect, I can tell you my own experiences, which certainly cannot be construed as representative. At the equivalent dose, my shaky hands went back to normal (at higher doses, everything seemed to be going fast in me, from my mind to my hands, and a bit out of sync. I was worried that, in chopping onions, I would do a number on a favorite finger or two. But that stopped on the lower dosage. Also, at the lower dosage, my dreams calmed down. They had been extraordinarily vivid and structured (in a narrative sense). That made sleep a lot calmer. I hope this helps....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly I must agree with Sangye and Al, please listen to your doctor.

Some people complain of mood swings. My problem has been gaining weight and a reduction in the density of my bones. To combat the bone problem I was automatically given Adcal/Natecal which is a calcium and vitamin D3 tablet to take twice a day. After a bone density scan I was also told to take 70mg of Alendronic Acid once a week.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone is different, but at only 10mg there shouldn't be many noticeable side effects. I didn't see calcium & vitD on her list of meds. She should take them to protect her bones from bone loss.

Follow doctor's orders. The mtx will take several weeks to take affect. Meanwhile the pred will reduce the inflammation. If you notice an immediate improvement in here eye redness, it's from the pred.

I'm glad she's finally receiving treatment.
    ~ Chris ~
    (Female )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on similar dosages w/ pred and folic. I have become 'round faced & no necked' as my wife puts it so succinctly...LOL! Other than weight gain, haven't even been nauseated with the folic in me. Best of luck...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would follow dr orders and each person is diffrent on the medication. My biggest peoblem was I was restless and also I had a hard time concentrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is taking Vitamin D . Thank you everyone. Ive been very upset bcse the Dr. said its most likely MPA It just like wegeners but no granulomas. With this there is an 80% ov kidney involvment. It could still be Wegeners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too and thank you for being there for me with all my messages.