Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeopathic teas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Homeopathic teas?

Does anyone drink any special types of herbal teas to help open their throats when their wegner's acts up? Due to (dust, mold, allergies, or stress)? My family member gets confused after she's upset (from crying) and her throat closes up because she thinks she's having a relapse. I've made her tea with tumeric because I've read it has anti-inflammatory properties and I'm hoping it will help alleviate some of her discomfort from her mucusy throat that causes her to cough a lot. The mucus doesn't seem to dislodge most of the time. But I also don't want to give her something that maybe conteract her medication. Any advice? Greatly appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend she try taking Mucinex (guaifenisen) on a regular basis, or the generic brands which are a lot cheaper. This works for me to loosen up the phlegm and make it easier to cough up. I was taking the 1200 mg extended release Mucinex twice a day for a long time. I now take the generic 400mg from the dollar store several times a day, whenever I think of it, and it actually seems to work better for me, maybe because it is not extended release and therefore works faster? All I know is if I forget to take it I have a lot more problems.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your family member on any medications currently? There are certain herbs that cannot be mixed with certain medications. Turmeric is one of them, she can't have turmeric if she's on Cytoxan (Cyclophosphamide). Also, things like echinacea are in some herbal teas and cough drops, and that is also on one of the lists of herbs, I think for Cytoxan too, but I can't remember exactly.
    While I'm on medicaiton, I stear clear of herbal remides so I don't interfere with anything.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Homeopathy is not the same as herbal. Homeopathy is a TYPE of holistic treatment.)

Echinacea should be avoided by anyone with Wegs, no matter what treatment you're doing or if you're off of treatment. Simple mint tea is very calming and uplifts the spirit, and won't interfere with anything. Spearmint is best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if she/he is currently on Cytoxan but I will ask. I think she/he was taking Mucinex but not consistently. Maybe I convince him/her it will help if he/she does take it regularly without forgetting? I'm just wondering what people do to combat symptoms when they come up.
    Last edited by Mafrum; 11-10-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, if your friend is being treated for wegs, they are not to take anything that increases their aoutoimmunity. Remember, wegs treatment supresses the immune system.
    When I cry my throat sells and hurts and I have difficulties swallowing. I do what Sangye says and drink Spearmint tea. The heat soothes my throat and mint calms me.
    If she has allergies, that is a question for her primary doctor.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guaifenesin (Mucinex or generic brands) comes from a tree bark, I believe, and thus could be considered an herb, but I don't believe it is said to affect the immune system in any way. It would not help soothe a swollen throat from crying or calm the spirit in the way that mint tea would. It takes a little while to work, but thins the mucus, making coughs more productive, and it needs to be taken with plenty of liquid to be most effective. At some point, your friend will be surprised and a clump of mucus will come up when he/she coughs. So perhaps trying it regularly with plenty of mint tea would be a good solution.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your help. I will definately try to tell her to give Mucinex another shot and look for some spearmint tea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're welcome, and remember that I said I think the cheap generic brands work faster and better, even though you have to take them more often. I get 15 400mg. pills from the Dollar Tree store for $1, while it costs at least $10, usually more, for 14 of the 1200mg. extended release Mucinex. If I'm doing my math right, that's about 6 cents versus 23 cents per 400mg. I take one at least twice during the day, one before bed, and sometimes one during the night, with at least 8 oz. of liquid. You can also get house brands from drug or grocery stores in 400 or 600mg.

I should have mentioned before, another soothing and helpful thing: heat up a bowl of water in the microwave, add some mint leaves or eucalyptus, etc., or even just salt to take the edge off the plain water. Lean over the bowl with a towel over your head and inhale the steam for several minutes. Breathe through your mouth or nose, whichever seems to work best or help most with what's bothering you at the time. Follow this with saline nasal rinse and/or gentle nose blowing. Be careful of the temperature of the water; if too hot, lift your head higher. You don't want to scald your delicate tissues. I use 7 minutes on my older microwave. And I use dried peppermint leaves which help open things up and make it pleasant and invigorating. I keep the same bowl going for a few days and then make a fresh one. This can really help to dislodge mucus chunks in both the nose and the bronchial tubes, and is definitely calming and relaxing.

BTW, I apologize to the "core members" and everyone else for posting without a formal introduction. I hope to get to that pretty soon.

Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Anne, you don't need to introduce yourself first. I'm glad you jumped right in and offered great advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast