Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stress triggers disease flares in patients with vasculitis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stress triggers disease flares in patients with vasculitis

Study shows psychological health important to controlling Wegener's granulomatosis

"Some investigators have hypothesized that stress-related hormones lead to immune dysregulation, but research is needed to tease out the mechanisms."

Stress triggers disease flares in patients with vasculitis
    Last edited by Kimbangu; 11-08-2011 at 02:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article. This is the first time I've seen Enbrel listed as an effective WG drug. Has anyone tried Enbrel with any success?
    ~ Chris ~
    (Female )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I've heard this many times before, that stress can cause a flare, but its nice to know that they've actually done a study on it and how to control it.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm quite excited because I have always maintained that stress was a big factor in my developing this horrible sneaky affliction in the first place.

Enbrel seems to be the commercial name for Etanercept, I haven't heard of it before., but they managed to shift $3.3 billion of it in 2010 so it's use must be pretty widespread..... I wonder if it goes under a different name in Europe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etanercept
    Last edited by Kimbangu; 11-08-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting study, the findings of which seem, for most of us, totally expected. But it's nice to have good research confirm our personal anecdotes!

Etanercept is a Tumor Necrosis Factor alpha antagonist. This line of research has been considered before, with mixed results. TNFa is one of the main neutrophil "primers"--that is, it brings MPO or PR-3 molecules to the surface of the cell, providing a target for the ANCA. The downside is that the immune system uses TNFa as a prime defense against malignant tumors. Again, that famed double-edged sword....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes a lot of sense. I was under quite a lot of pressure workwise and was stressed because I had not been sleeping very well for about eighteen months. Next thing I know I am in hospital and diagnosed with WG.

Thanks for brining this article to our attention.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was under relentless severe stress for about a year when I first became ill. In my case, I am sure this was the trigger for WG but this had come up before in forums and others have commented stating that they were not under any stress at time of diagnosis.

Why am I up at 4.30am browsing the internet?? Oh yes, the joys of high dose pred!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Interesting article. This is the first time I've seen Enbrel listed as an effective WG drug. Has anyone tried Enbrel with any success?
    Hi Chris. When my daughter first went to the Mayo Clinic with a diagnosis of Weg, I remember Ulrich Specks, MD (one of our Weg guru's titled in this study of stress on Vasculitis,) suggesting that a multicenter trial of Enbrel had been discontinued abruptly due to deaths within the confines of the study. He did not suggest it as an option for treatment (really!).

This most current study regarding emotional stress acting as a trigger for disease flares is an important one as far as I am concerned. It is what all of you have been speaking of for years, and now has real data to prove that emotional stress is not good for Weggies. That is why Sangye is so smart for posting her humor site! Breathe deeply and avoid stressful situations whenever possible. When giddiness is not available, accept simple serenity and acceptance. Downward dog and warrior when possible!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me about it. i'm in college and I get a symptom of the week. Stress is a big play in how well i can get through a day. I feel like good friends literally keep me healthy enough to stay in school...don't let me get me
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am now nocturnal ! love the Pred...i hope u get rest sometime.
    Experience is the only way to survive. <3 Rini Orange

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast